Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update not working

Hello all, I have a dilemma with my XP home edition. I just did a complete reinstall and Im on line trying to get all my updates back ie. Service packs and so forth. Heres what I encounter we are unable to bla bla bla So I tried to download the Windows downloader and no can do. The XP software I used is the software that came with the computer originally and it has service pack II included. Windows update doesnt recognize that for some reason. Hmmm, Im at a loss here. Any suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    Hello all, I have a dilemma with my XP home edition. I just did a complete reinstall and Im on line trying to get all my updates back ie. Service packs and so forth. Heres what I encounter we are unable to bla bla bla So I tried to download the Windows downloader and no can do.
    stringdoctor,
    Hello...(again) Guess you didn't solve your other problem? ...Anyway With Xp Home you could be running into "permission problems" It would be helpful if you gave the complete error message ...On the other question you could download XP Home Sp-3 from MS XP Home SP-3...Post back with questions Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    SP3 is required to have Windows Updates delivered. So, download SP3 and the you should be able to get Windows Update working.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey thanks Fred, and no still haven't solved the other problem. The only solutions I've found are either putting the computer to sleep or uninstalling the network driver before shutting down so on the next boot it will work. What a pain in the.......... Oh and if/when I get the error message I will post it here for you to see. In the mean time I'll get SP3 and see what happens. Thanks again, Ray
    Last edited by stringdoctor; 2012-07-12 at 18:38.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank for the info, I didn't know that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, after downloading SP3 from the link you gave, it created an ISO file that windows won't open. Any further suggestions?
    Also the error message I get when at the Windows update page is Error number 0x8024400A.
    Last edited by stringdoctor; 2012-07-14 at 14:50.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    Fred, after downloading SP3 from the link you gave, it created an ISO file that windows won't open. Any further suggestions?
    Also the error message I get when at the Windows update page is Error number 0x8024400A.
    stringdoctor,
    Hello..You need to "burn" the .iso to a CD you can use this free one ImgBurn Then make sure your PC is set in BIOS to boot from a CD\DVD load it and re-boot....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the solution to this dilema, aparently i'm not the only one having it. On a post I found on a Google search, my search was (errror number 0x80240036) the writer said that Microsoft had updated it's update site on Windows updates for XP. He offered this link(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us) and stated that he used the x86 version. So I did too, and it worked! I was able to get SP3 and all of the other 115 updates I needed. Wow you would think that MS would at least take the time to let the rest of us know about their changes. Hmmm

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stringdoctor For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2012-07-19),Just Plain Fred (2012-07-15)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    stringdoctor,
    Thanks for posting back the solution to the problem...I'm sure it will be of help to others ....Regards Fred
    PlainFred