Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Nondestructive reinstall using Windows 7 upgrade disk?

Fred Langa's excellent article on nondestructive reinstall says a Windows 7 disk can be borrowed if one is not available. I have no matching Win 7 disk (came preinstalled) and do not know where I can borrow one. I do have a 2009 Win 7 upgrade from XP disk (32 and 64bit) new in box. Is there a way to use this disk? If so, what special steps need be taken?

Thanks
    It depends on whether you have installed Sp1. If so to use this disk, does it include SP1. If not, you will have to remove Sp1. As an alternative you can download the Win 7 ISO file including SP1 from Digital River, burn the ISO file to disk (On Win 7 just Right Click the file and choose Burn Disk Image) then use this disk with your original key.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

oldman37 (2012-07-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Viejo,

It also depends on whether your preinstalled Win7 is "plain vanilla," or whether it has some company-specific files & settings. ??What make of computer are we talking about??

Zig

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

oldman37 (2012-07-13)

Thanks
    That is true, you might loose some of the crapware the manufacturer preloads on all OEM PC's. Wait, in my case I consider that a good thing. I am not sure, but I believe Fred's method just addresses problems with the system files (reinstalls the OS system files leaving other stuff in place) and not the remaining crapware and trial ware the manufacturer loads.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

oldman37 (2012-07-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Acer aspire 7736Z laptop. If (as I will) image the disk prior to reinstall could I not selectively restore missing programs? (Much of the crapware is already gone - the rest would be a blessing).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even with the ISO file which would have the most up to date information and files, I had to:

reinstall video card drivers
    redo most personal settings and tweaks
    get at least 50 updates from Windows Update over 3 days

It works, but is not as painless as advertised.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

oldman37 (2012-07-15)

Thanks
    Yes, the ISO file was created sometime in July 2011. Therefore any updates after this date would have to be added after the install. I do not believe there has been, or will be another ISO file released for a later version, unless or until an SP2 is released for Win 7.

I do not believe it was advertised as painless. It does take a considerable amount of work, as all installs or repairs do. Plus you have to understand that Fred's article was written soon after the ISO file was available, so it may be getting somewhat dated as well.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-14 at 11:58.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just trying to be informative and not critical. Maybe I took the work "nondestructive" too literally.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It is non destructive in the sense that your programs and documents will remain unaffected. Of course, Windows related aspects, like drivers and Windows settings will be returned to its original, after installation state. It is a Windows installation after all! It wouldn't be if it didn't touch drivers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all! Looks a bit grim but sooner or later - gotta be done. (Sure am not going to "wait for 8" - if ever)

Lounger
    Thanks

Nondestructive reinstall using digital river disk

This capability is easily half the reason Windows Secrets is such a bargain. It worked beautifully on my previous winxp but I downloaded my particular version of win7 (home premium sp1 32/64bit) went all the way through to the point just before entering the activation ID# and suddently got a message totally out of the blue saying "The upgrade was not successfull. Your previous version of windows is being restored".

I have no idea why this happened because up to that point everything had gone perfectly. I read in google where some have had problems with digital river's copies of the win7 installation disk. Do you think that could be my problem?

Thanking you in advance for any help you can be on this I am..

C. Brawner

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiger View Post
    This capability is easily half the reason Windows Secrets is such a bargain. It worked beautifully on my previous winxp but I downloaded my particular version of win7 (home premium sp1 32/64bit) went all the way through to the point just before entering the activation ID# and suddently got a message totally out of the blue saying "The upgrade was not successfull. Your previous version of windows is being restored".

I have no idea why this happened because up to that point everything had gone perfectly. I read in google where some have had problems with digital river's copies of the win7 installation disk. Do you think that could be my problem?

Thanking you in advance for any help you can be on this I am..

C. Brawner
    Were you trying to upgrade from a 32bit win7 to a 64bit win7?
    If so it will fail as you can only upgrade from 32bit to 64bit by doing a complete clean install.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2012-08-01)

Thanks
    I have not heard of any problems with the Digital River ISO files. I have to think Clive might have it right.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2012-08-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe my computer came with the capability to do either but I am not an expert on 32 versus 64 bit. This is how Belarc described it: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) When a piece of software is installed it puts 64bit in one folder and 32 in another. Everything runs fine. Sorry if I am a little uninitiated on this subject. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    No sir, you can only have one or the other installed, and must Clean Install to change. Most retail versions of Win 7 include both a 32 Bit disk and a 64 Bit disk, but you are only allowed to install one or the other.

The installed apps CAN be either 32 Bit or 64 Bit, but NOT the OS. If you have ANY 64 Bit apps installed then the OS has to be 64 Bit as well.

Belarac shows that you indeed have Win 7 HP 64 Bit with SP1 installed on your PC. You can therefore install either 32 Bit or 64 Bit apps.

You would have to own a second key for Win 7 HP 32Bit in order to have that installed in a second partition.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-01 at 11:20.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Motiger (2012-08-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast