Thread: Laptop Problem

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop Problem

My wife uses a Compact Presario CQ62 laptop. It has 4GB of memory and a 160GB HD. It sits on a platform to keep it cool and that sits on her desk. The OS is Windows 7 Home 64. Several months ago I read an article on how to preserve the battery by letting it run down to about 40% capacity, taking it out, wrap it up and put it in the crisper in the refrig. For months the laptop operated solely off the plugged in chord. We took it with us on vacation in May and reinstalled the battery. When we arrived back home, the battery went back into the refrigerator. After about 30 days the laptop would suddenly shut itself off. It even got where my wife would be typing something and it would shut down. I reinstalled the battery and all went well. I took it out again about 4 days ago and within 24 hours, it began shutting down. I have been into the power/sleep section trying to find something that would remedy this problem but can't seem to locate anything that will. I hate leaving the battery in it since we seldom use it on battery power except when we go off somewhere for a few days. I'd like to conserve the battery as long as possible due to their replacement cost. What do I need to look for and change to keep this from happening?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by white_collar View Post
    I'd like to conserve the battery as long as possible due to their replacement cost. What do I need to look for and change to keep this from happening?
    white_collar,
    Hello... Just a thought as i have no experience with "lap tops" Is it possible that you're having power dips (of the spike type or noise) ..Maybe something like a motor starting ( like an AC unit) that could cause the PC to shut down? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I usually leave my battery in and my laptop plugged in, but every couple of days I unplug the PC and let the battery run down to a very low amount then plug it back in. This tends to condition the battery.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy