Thanks

Yet another Start Menu add on to Windows 8 - Start8

Thanks
    With the assorted add-ons available there are many possibilities to add a Start menu to the desktop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks

Stardock's Start8 Beta

Maybe I'm somewhat of a sucker for trying stuff out even if it costs a couple of bucks! I tried the original Stardock and wasn't too impressed, but it was not a fair trial for me as I was not using the original beta release of Win 8. I heard that Microsoft made changes that would prevent use of Stardock, so I did not attempt using in with Win 8 Release Preview. Stardock Start8 beta apparently will get around the MS barrier and even gives you a quasi start orb (with their icon) as an option in addition of a metro style start button. You can get Start8 now but the beta is not free but costs about $4.50. I took the plunge!
    Again I must say that I haven't yet time to play too much with it, but I kinda liked what I saw. It sure is very similar to the traditional start orb. For those using Win 8 Release Previes (and soon, Win 8 RTM) it looks to be worth a try.

Thanks
    I also noticed that this will become a paid app shortly. Thanks, but no thanks I will continue using Classic Shell (free).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All I can say is that Stardock makes rock solid products.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @don332:
    My friend and I both have tried Classic Shell and Start8. Even though Classic Shell is very nice (and FREE) we both bought Start8.
    May the ORB be with you!

Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hi All,

I know I'm late to this thread but I just installed it on Win 8 RP and I LOVE IT! Can't tell it from my Win-7 Start Menu. When I purchase my Eval copy of shipping Win-8 I'll purchase Start8 immediately so I can continue to be productive. YMMV a lot!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I have been using Start8 for about 3 days, and honestly Classic Shell allows more customization IMO. Plus I seem to like the available skins of Classic Shell a little better. I suppose for just Win 7 emulation, this is pretty good, but I just seem to be drawn back to Classic Shell. It just seems to have more pazzaz!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the VMware tools installed now so my VM should be more stable.(?) Have a subscription to Stardock that's valid for one more month so it was logical to install Start 8, and RG is right, it seems to emulate the start menu we've become accustomed to. I can tell I prefer having all my programs, utilities and settings available all in one spot; especially a menu listing of control panel. The charms bar seems a bit nefarious as far as finding the right cursor position to bring it out of the right margin; and I was only using it to get to some of the Window settings on the Modern desktop; and then scooting back to the traditional desktop.

Now that I have everything in one area again, I can tell I'll just be camped here again. I'm struck even more by how different the usage approach is between the two desktops having fiddled a bit with I.E. on both, and thoughts I had on the the lack of a Start menu being a transitional progression to the Modern desktop is now gone. One is meant for touch and mobility and the other is meant for a mouse and keyboard. So its more of mystery to me than ever.

But, at least now I can concentrate on actually evaluating the OS eh? I can see already that Microsoft made some "improvements" to explorer by bringing back the up one level arrow and a couple other things that I always complained about being lacking or not as efficient in Windows 7; although I'm only so-so on anything with a bit of the "ribbon" interface...for the most part, looking good so far on that front...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Think, for myself, I'll just happily stay w/out any of that stuff that I, still, can't, personally, see as necessary. Sure don't have call to hit Charms very often. I do fine w/ 8 w/out adding those things, but, guess that's just me (& JP & maybe a few others, too.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm a happy camper now, I even put in the quick launch toolbar so I can start all my customary programs for any one task in quick succession (up to 5 for image editing), and never get confused about which are active and which are not because they're not mixed together on one uniform taskbar. I need little tricks like that so I don't have to put thought into remembering where or what I have running all the time because my taskbars fill up and stay full for weeks at a time. Part of my "oh, I'll get back to that project as soon as I take care of this other one"...and its days before I get back...A tribute to the stability of computers these days.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'FUN',

Cool. I have or had always used QL for years; put it in Windows7. When I 1st started w/ Win8 I automatically put it in that, too. After I started using the Desktop Toolbar (& an applications window) seemed like I didn't, also, need QL, anymore, was redundant. But, I can imagine that it can serve you well. Nice there's a way to put it in... I never could quite understand the lack of it in Windows7. Might be because the expectation was that things would be 'pinned' but, as you say, that can make the amount on the Taskbar overwhelming.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg