Banned Member
    Thanks

Food for Thought... IRONY

Recently, I saw a fellow contributor, discussing visiting Windows7. He (Ted) had been spending a majority of time w/ Win8 for several wks. But, certainly visiting 7, periodically, @ least updating & maintenance.@ the latest of such an occasion, Ted had come to find 7 'slow' & clunky or 'chunky', were close to his 'feelings'. Win8 had a better snap or 'feel'.

Taking nothing away from noticing differences, there's a human quality here. We trend to have comfort be directly proportional to familiarity. Same as ppl balk @ changing from 1 OS to another. After spending a chunk of time on one... it gets to feel comfy. One is not in one's comfort zone YET and the other isn't in your comfort zone anymore... familiarity, amount of time spent, impacts on comfort zone which, impacts on 'feel'. Grow accustom, as a concept, plays heavily on things.

To put another take on it yet, same moral... I, too, have been non-stop Win8 since 29/2. I, too, visit 7 to tend to it. One, I realize a moment's thought go through my head, "Oh, right, this is different" & LOL. However, I do not find it slow or clunky or chunky BUT,, that's not to say I didn't, also, notice something; here's the irony...

After, all the discussion in forums regarding the lack of the old start button & menu, the dreadful Metro UI & APPs... Things can be found, accessed, used, opened quicker, more directly, more simply & easily, more readily & efficiently available w/ Windows8. It is, actually, in reality, a less cumbersome, less complex, more enjoyable & productive User Experience navigating Windows8

The punch line being... That includes NOT using or visiting Start, btw; 100% Desktop.

Cheers,
    Drew

Screenshot (18).JPG

Thanks
    Win 8 navigation seems intuitive once you have set it up the way you want it. Yes, I have installed Classic Shell and will on Win 8 Pro (I am assuming here that something similar will be available in Win 8 Pro). But For most apps I do NOT use the Classic Shell interface. I use the Shortcut Toolbar that I made and set up on my taskbar. I could have just as easily pinned the Programs folder as a Toolbar on the Taskbar, but I do not often use many of those apps. I put my oft used apps in my Shortcuts Folder so they so up on my Shortcuts Toolbar. I use Classic Shell for other things, like Favorites, Control Panel, etc. I could have just as easily set these things up as Toolbars as well. And after using them for a few days, the Start Orb would seem clunky.

The whole point is set this OS up the way you use it. I have, and I've posted many of the ways I have done this in various threads. When I first visited Win 8 I also said, "No Way"! But then I started researching how to customize this OS. And it accepts customizing very well.

Yes, when Win 8 is released there will be a lot of grumbling, after all right out of the box it is so different, and we will be busy in this Forum. We will be even busier in Win 8 Forums. But getting through the learning curve is so much easier with some minor customizing. One of the biggest problems is to get people to read through some of the posted threads. In a Win 8 Forum I participate in, the majority of posters never look at any other threads, including the Customization or Tutorial threads, before asking a question about how to find their apps, or how to shutdown or how to get to the desktop, or any other topic that has been discussed at length in another thread. I guess human nature is impatience.

Others have suggested a training manual be shipped with Win 8, or downloadable with Win 8. If people will not read threads, what makes anyone think they will read this manual? My belief is that initially many more Win 8 OS's will be downloaded than bought retail. People most likely will not even see the downloadable manual if one were presented.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-14 at 07:49.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    BTW, Ted, all those things (you mention) & more can go or be in Desktop Toolbar which, already exists w/out any more (Toolbars). Just saying...

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-07-14 at 08:13.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "I guess human nature is impatience.

Others have suggested a training manual be shipped with Win 8, or downloadable with Win 8. If people will not read threads, what makes anyone think they will read this manual? My belief is that initially many more Win 8 OS's will be downloaded than bought retail. People most likely will not even see the downloadable manual if one were presented."

It's known as 'instant gratification'

Big shocker... there, already, IS a 'manual'... it is subtly called... HELP; 101 Questions about Windows8 you were afraid to ask. Everything is nicely & thoroughly explained in plain English. Punch line is, ya gotta go read it.

But, if, Folks wanna pay me, instead, I'm ok w/ that, too

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    BTW, Ted, all those things (you mention) & more can go or be in Desktop Toolbar which, already exists w/out any more (Toolbars). Just saying...

Cheers,
    Drew
    I know, but I am trying various things to see which works better for me so that when I install Win 8 Pro for me and my wife, I can then customize the way I have decided by trial and error what works best. But then that's why they call these things personal computers.

I actually did have the desktop toolbar for a while, but I ended up drilling down to find what I wanted, and for me that did not work as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy