3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Starting programs without beng nagged

I have Office 10, but to simply write and print a letter it takes way too long to load. For this I use Word 97, it does everything I need (except open .docx files), I can write and print a letter in the time it takes Office 10 to get started. One thing that bugs me is the nag screen, "Do want the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to your computer." Why the publisher should be 'unknown' is beyond me. Nevertheless, is there any setting, or permission that will tell Win 7 Ultimate that yes, I do want to run the program, and always will want it to run?

Thanks,

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have never seen that happening with Office 2010. Did you try an office repair?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it doesn't happen with Office 10, it's when I try to start Word 97. For simply writing letters I'd never use Office 10. I use a keyboard shortcut, in XP the program pops up almost immediately, in Win 7 I get the nagging.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think Microsoft ensures full compatibility of Office 97 with Windows 7. I am not sure whether you can get rid of the warning, without turning off the UAC or setting it down from its current level.

You can try to change Word 97 settings to run it in XP compatibility mode or even a previous OS compatibility mode. You can also try to run it as an administrator and see if either of these will help. I fear, however, that only changing the UAC settings may work, but that will affect all programs.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-07-14 at 19:54. Reason: spelling

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that there would be some way of altering the UAC settings on a per program basis. Ah well, Word 97 works so I'd best not fix it.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am afraid that is not possible. The UAC settings are global.

Thanks
    The Windows 7 Compatibility Center ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...2097&os=32-bit ) lists Office 97 Professional Version 8 as compatible but Office 97 Standard as not compatible. Weird.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rhino, hello.
    Did you try to make your Office compatible with W-7 ? In my machine, I go to Start and type in old, yes, just this and it pops up with a suggested " Make an old programme compatible with W-7 ". The proper writing is : Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. I run O2K, all of it on W-7 and I do not get a nag. Give it a go.
    It is also as fast in loading as we would expect. JP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could use WordPad for just letter writing its quite full function now in win7.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.