Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent wireless connection

Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834GT router set up in my home office, I have also a Addon Powerline Ethernet Bridge to boost the wireless signal to other parts of the house. This all worked well until recently, when relying on the bridge in other parts of the house, I still receive the full strength signal but the connection to the internet is intermittent, sometime for days at a time. I'm unable to identify what changes to allow or not, connection to the internet and am having no luck in fault finding this, any ideas would be most welcome.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Did your neighbour install a wireless router on the same channel you use?
    inSSIDer will check for you.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I've download and installed inSSIDer, thank you for the link.

However, no conflict with neighbour's channels.

Any other ideas, most welcome.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the Ethernet bridge still connecting to the router?
    Can you ping / connect to the Ethernet bridge controller?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Yes, the Ethernet bridge is still connecting to the router, it worked great last night but today although I have a full strength signal, I can’t connect to the internet.

I don’t know how to ping / connect to the Ethernet bridge controller. This is a simple plug and play bridge, the router does not show the device, the laptops/notebooks/tablets and kindles that connect via the Ethernet bridge to the internet when it is working correctly are all permitted via MAC address on the router’s wireless settings and they cannot access the wired network.

I hope this is all clear.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to ping / connect to the router from the laptop. Does this work when you do not have internet access?
    Try turning off the MAC filtering - it is pretty much useless anyway, you should be using WPA/2.

cheers, Paul

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just to drop in a long shot here:

Are you running any type of mains generators or inverters?

Your symptoms sound similar to one I encountered recently: an existing powerline extender circuit was randomly disabled, but only during daylight hours. Wireless connection was available on the extender but the poweline circuit was losing sync. It turned out to be a noisy mains inverter for the photo-voltaic solar panels that had recently been installed at the property. The solution was to drop to a lower speed powerline circuit (from 200M to 85M) - the 200M models seemed more sensitive to the noise on the mains circuits.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What OS are you using? What type of security is the DG834GT using? Try disabling the security on the DG834GT. If that fixes your connection then you have narrowed down the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Generally when my router is working and I can't get access to the Internet, it is because the ISP is malfunctioning. My ISP is Comcast. Over the years, they have improved their intermittent outage issues considerably, but the cables in my neighborhood are old and faulty. Outages can last minutes, hours, and days. One time the service rep determined that a cable hub on a pole on a highway a mile away was the source of the problem; when a semitruck went past, it jiggled the connection and Internet went down; when the next semitruck went past, it jiggled the connection and the Internet went back up. If I were you, I'd call your ISP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EMF issues

Hi Using power lines (mains) as a means to connect or use the Internet generates a lot of dirty RF and can easily interfere with radios and other devices that use RF. I'm not implying that this is the cause of this problem, just a variable to consider.