Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Where O where have my restore points gone?

Today I felt the need to restore my system to an earlier state. So I opened the System Protection tab in System Properties, expecting to find a plethora of restore points to choose from. Even after checking "Show more restore points" I can see only two, the one from today (useless) and one from March of 2011 (useless).

I was sure that I had the system setup to be doing restore points, but I clicked the Configure button to confirm it. The "Restore system settings..." option is clicked. I have 22.34 Gb (15%) of disk space allocated, only 157.41 Mb of which is used. I keep my system up-to-date and have installed a LOT of software since March of 2011, so there should be plenty of other restore points available. Where are they?

It is apparently too late to use System Restore to save my system at the moment, but how do I ensure that restore points are created in the future?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post

It is apparently too late to use System Restore to save my system at the moment, but how do I ensure that restore points are created in the future?
    Backspacer,
    Hello... Have a read at this Task Scheduler Regards Fred

PS: System Restore isn't that reliable in the first place ...Much better to do full "System Imaging " "Windows Backup" or better yet Free 3rd Party software.Also make sure that your Services> Task Scheduler is set to "Auto"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-16 at 14:28.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks. Task manager is working fine. It schedules other tasks correctly, anyway. Yeah: backup, backup, backup. I always start doing regular backups after its too late, but I quickly bore of it. Plus, my backup device has quit working. What use is a backup if the device it is stored on is unreliable? Come to think of it, what use is System Restore if it doesn't save any restore points?

I did read that article you linked and carefully compared with my own setup. My setup appears to be correct. Except that it is not saving restore points. I guess it's just Microsoft. If you want reliable, you'll stick to paper and pencil.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Backspacer,
    Can you run a "Restore Point" manually? Also you can schedule Image Backups and store them to an External HD...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I can. I just tried it.

But while checking, I noticed that the restore point from this morning (I mentioned it in my first post) is gone. I wondered if every restore point is just being overwritten by the next, so I saved a second test point. Nope, they are both there. And that old one from March 2011 is still there.

My external HD is on the fritz. Or maybe that's another Windows problem. It's an almost brand-new Western Digital Passport with 2 Tb, I think. Whenever I plug it in I am told that it contains no data and must be formatted before I can use it. That after I had obviously formatted and stored my backups on it previously. And I always properly "safely remove" it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Backspacer,
    I don't use System Restore ( switched it off long ago) but i "kinda remember" a box to "tick off'" Show more restore points... Could that be?
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I checked that box first thing. That's why I could see the one from March 2011.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Well...I'm out of ideas ...Some "Big Guns" Needed Ted, Rui, Joe ...HELP
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Although I don't use system restore either, a third party drive imaging program would be far more reliable than the limited abilities of system restore.
    Something to consider for future reference.

You should also look into whatever other "cleaning" software applications you might have installed that may be selectively deleting restore points.

Thanks
    PlainFred, I appreciate your time and efforts. Of course every problem looks easy after we know the answer, but some of them can be a lot harder than others in reaching that answer! If it helps, I try really hard not to waste peoples' time with easy problems.

Thanks
    Cleaning software? I know of none on my system, but I will look into it.

Can either of you gentlemen recommend a third party drive imaging program? I frankly am doubtful as to its usefulness unless I can somehow automate the backups - and you know how it is with automation! But I'll give it a try. I suppose I'll have to blow more money on another drive...

Thanks
    I'm using Macrium Reflect's free version and I'm finding it more than reliable for my needs for both a desktop, and a laptop with no CD/DVD ROM.

Macrium Reflect USB Rescue Options
    how to use Macrium Reflect

I have no use for automating any software applications on my system, it's a job I prefer to do manually.
    But if you must have automation there are many imaging software applications that could handle the task.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-07-16 at 19:04.

Thanks
    My wife and I own a small business which is in its high season right now. I also do remodeling and am in the middle of a big job. Neither of these is sufficiently profitable to support an IT staff - I am it. I have to keep six computers, two LANs, a VPN, a whole raft of peripherals (Point of Sale is especially peripheral intensive), and now two smart phones setup and running. My own computer, the one we're working on today, is the poor step child of the bunch. Also today I have had to troubleshoot two problems on my wife's computer (it's harder than heck to pry her away from it!), and a major stoppage of one of our POS terminals. (So much for "standard user" accounts. Any truly non-computer-literate user can make a mess of the most carefully protected system.) I truly agree that automating robs you of control, but when it's either that or nothing, I'll take the automation. I simply don't have the time for anything else.

I began working on computers back in the 1970s (remember Sperry Univac?) But I left the industry in 1993 and have just been a "user" and my own "IT staff" since then. I used to think Windows would just be a flash-in-the-pan. Apparently Microsoft did too, because they don't seem to have made any effort to improve on it. They've built fancy little GUIs and utilities, and it has grown huge, but it's really not that different from the Unix I worked with in the 1980s. I thought it would be cool for Google to come along and stir things up, but as I understand it, Android is just Linux with a flashy coat instead of the tux. Am I going to live most of my life and die and never see any real improvement in computing? Never mind. It's a rant. I'm having a bad day.

Thanks
    Backspacer, I used to be a design engineer for Sperry Univac in Roseville before I retired.

Anyway, you might want to look at this Microsoft KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224

Sometimes disabling and then reenabling System Restore fixes it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. I will read that.

So then I guess you remember the Univac 9300. That's where I first got inside of a computer.

... ... ... OK, I read through the causes in that KB article, but they do not apply. It doesn't address my particular problem which is that restore points are being deleted while there is loads of disk space available for them. It only describes correct operation - useful in helping understand things, but not in solving the problem. I am going to try your suggestion to stop and restart System Restore. I don't know why I didn't think of doing the Windows shuffle before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast