New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Open Access Database

I have a fairly old Access database that contains some information I'd like to retrieve. It is on a network server and the last time I tried to open the database I got an error message: "The Mircosoft Access database engine stopped the process because you or another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." There are no "other users" but me, and I did not have an a second instance of the database open at the time. I have tried moving the database to my local drive and get the same error message. Is there some work around that will get open the database so I can save it and retrieve the data in it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Larrman,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster!

Check the directory containing the DB and see if you find a file with a type of .ldb. If you do delete this file and it should solve your problem. Post back if this doesn't help.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG... I hope to be able to contribute to the lounge from time to time. And just so you know, part of my family in from Charleston, SC.

Unfortunately, there is no file in the directory with an .ldb extension. I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by larrman View Post
    Thanks RG... I hope to be able to contribute to the lounge from time to time. And just so you know, part of my family in from Charleston, SC.

Unfortunately, there is no file in the directory with an .ldb extension. I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have.
    Are you able to create a new blank database and import the objects from the old db into the new one? What about linking to tables in the original db - does that work?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jeremy, thanks. I tried both importing to a new database and linking through a new database and neither worked. I got the same error message that I had in my original posting. Any other suggestions will be greatly apppreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you asked your IT department to see if there is a permissions problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Patt...

I have already checked to see if permissions is an issue and it is not. The database was open to antone who cared to use/view it, however, no one (but me) was interested in the contents. Also, I have tried to open the database using Open Office, Free File Viewer, etc. without any luck. In fact Open Office gave me the same error message.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What format of Access is the database, eg is it Access 97 or Access 2000 or Access 2002/2003 or later?
    It may be corrupt.
    Try this in a shortcut:
    msaccess.exe /decompile C:\Path\FileName.mdb
    Then try going into the database again.
    Last edited by patt; 2012-07-19 at 19:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Pat...

The database was originally written with Access 2000, as far as I can find out. We have been using Access 2007 for the few years to use the database. Your suggestion to try a decompile in a shortcut sounds interesting. However, how do I put that in a shortcut, and what will it reallly do to the program and/or database?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Larrman,

Here's a free tool that will do the job for you. I use it all the time to compress the space out of Access Database files.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, my thanks RG,

I tried the VBA decompiler/compactor. It appeared like it might work but ended with the following error message: "ERROR - 2147220895 (Can't open the file)" Back to square one I guess.