Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

POP, IMAP, and Outlook 2010

Recently we migrated from Outlook 2003 with one POP account to Outlook 2010. During the installation we allowed Outlook to automatically detect the correct server settings, and it installed our mail account as an IMAP account with its own profile. Then we proceded to import the old PST file into Outlook, thinking that all of the folders would be merged into the new profile. This is not what happened, we now have two profiles and all of the incoming mail goes into the IMAP profile, which is not what we want. I would like to consolidate and remove the IMAP profile. I think the safest procedure would be as follows:
    1. move the contents of each folder in the IMAP profile to the corresponding folder in the POP profile
    2. Delete the IMAP mail account from the IMAP profile and then delete the IMAP data file
    3. Close Outlook and then reopen it
    4. Add a new POP account to the remaining profile
    Am I safe to be doing it this way? Can someone point me to a good article describing the differences between POP and IMAP accounts?
    Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    This was the best I could find: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/computing/email/imap-pop.html

I
    think the strategy you described should work well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

capnemo2080 (2012-07-26),MauryS (2012-07-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very good article! I fel more confident now that I will not screw things up.
    I think this thread may be considered resolved an closed.

Kind regards

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great .

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    To summarize: (If you don't have time to read it all now.)

Characteristics common to both POP and IMAP:
    -Both can support offline operation.
    -Mail is delivered to a shared, "always up" mail server.
    -New mail accessible from a variety of client platform types.
    -New mail accessible from anywhere in network.
    -Protocols are open; defined by Internet RFCs.
    -Freely available implementations (including source) available.
    -Clients available for PCs, Macs, and Unix.
    -Commercial implementations available.
    -Internet oriented; no SMTP mail gateways required.
    -Protocols deal with access only; both rely on SMTP to send.
    -Both support persistent message IDs (for disconnected operation).

POP protocol advantages:
    -Simpler protocol; easier to implement.
    -More client software currently available.

IMAP protocol advantages:
    -Can manipulate persistent message status flags.
    -Can store messages as well as fetch them.
    -Can access and manage multiple mailboxes.
    -Can support concurrent updates and access to shared mailboxes.
    -Suitable for accessing non-email data; e.g., NetNews, documents.
    -Can also use offline paradigm, for minimum connect time and disk use.
    -Companion protocol defined for user configuration management (IMSP).
    -Constructs to permit online performance optimization, especially over low-speed links.
    In conclusion:
    In summary, IMAP offers advantages over POP in three areas: richer functionality in manipulating one's inbox, the ability to manage mail folders besides one's inbox, and primitives to allow optimization of online performance, especially when dealing with large MIME messages.

Because there are freely available IMAP development libraries, its additional complexity over POP should not be a significant barrier to use. Therefore, a reasonable conclusion is that the only advantage of POP over IMAP is that there is currently more POP software available. However, this is changing rapidly, and IMAP's functional advantages over POP are nothing less than overwhelming.
    Last edited by RussB; 2012-07-18 at 09:04.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just be aware that most people complain about IMAP performance in Outlook. Hsitorically, it has stunk.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question on imap

Could I tack a question onto this thread, please? I use POP and regularly edit certain emails in Outlook, especially those with links to material on the web when I insert the actual material instead of the links and save the edited email on my computer. As my account is with gmail, the original email is still on gmail's server. If I was using IMAP would the edited emails get saved back to the server and be available in the future in edited form? If not what exactly would happen?

The answer to this will decide whether I finally move to IMAP or not. Thanks guys, in advance!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am not sure I follow you. How exactly do you edit the emails, now, using POP?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean I use POP to get the messages (not MAPI) and then edit them in Outlook using the edit function then save the edited email in Outlook.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In POP, only the inbox is syncronised. Are you saving the edited emails back into inbox? I would certainly suggest IMAP as all folders will get synced, so you can make a custom folder to save the edited emails and have them synced to all your devices including server.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Cherryphilip. I do not presently save the edited emails back to the server at all (I didn't know I could) - I just save them on my hard drive in whatever Outlook folder I keep those emails in (I have several depending on the topic/sender). As I understand you if I use IMAP the edited email will be saved back to my account in gmail in place of the original in whichever folder I save it in. Is that correct? And if I commence using IMAP now will all my previous emails downloaded in POP then get synchronised too? Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You edit the emails? You can't edit original emails received or sent? Do you forward them to yourself, or reply to them or something like that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Something else to consider is that, using POP3, your email account on the server is emptyed each time you download the mail.
    But an IMAP account has to be policed by the user as the account is NOT emptyed each time the mail is downloaded (in fact, it is not really downloaded at all).
    So, if you have a small email account, it is easy to fill it up and have email stop working until you empty it.
    ...just something to be aware of.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Where did you get that from? Outlook has had an edit function for years and I use it every day. Presently I use Outlook 2007 and you will find the function under Other Actions in the Message ribbon. You can add, delete or edit the text and add or remove attachments then clicking Save saves them in your email on the computer. That is why I was surprised by Cherryphilip's assertion that POP would synchronise the inbox (with the server I assume) - it doesn't on mine so far as I know. I certainly do not forward them to myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    leonk, you are correct generally but using gmail all the messages are saved on their server even after you delete them off your computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast