Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Problem with Linux restore on Macrium Reflect

Having been given a 2Tb Seagate Nas, and not being enamoured of the Memeo software, also finding out that Win 7 Home Prem backup doesn't talk to NAS drives, I decided to go with Macrium Reflect free. This is because many of you recommend it. First backup was fine (took a lot less time than Windows 7 imaging to a USB drive). I've created the Linux rescue CD, but this is where I've come to a complete stop. It asks for mapping to the Nas, but whatever I enter, it just comes up with 'mount failed'. It asks for the server and share. This I've copied (with the same caps) from the Reflect restore page. It also asks for a username and password - I've put in my normal PC username and password, including the variant PCNAME\username, but no joy. I've looked in the help, but couldn't see what I was doing wrong. I suspect it's simple - but this bear of little brain can't see it. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Just realised, username should be the one on the drive - I had forgotten about that - but it still fails to mount. Sigh.

Thanks
    Hmm, no suggestions. I tried the WinPE solution, again I have a problem - this time that the network controller requires a driver. But when I do a scan, it just ends up saying 'driver load failed'. Everyone else says Macrium Reflect is a good backup system - but it's useless to me if I can't create a rescue disk - or at least, be able to use it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try EaseUS ToDo Free for backups much easier to use. Can't guaranty that it will talk to NAS drives but worth a try.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    I'd try Easus Todo at no higher than v.4.0.0.2, if you're going for a free version, as later versions of the free release are somewhat crippled; don't know about NAS drives, however. Or, you could purchase Macrium, and ask in their forum, which seems very accommodating (or purchase latest Easus, for that matter; be aware, v.5.0 is in beta testing as I write, so you might want to delay).

Zig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    this time that the network controller requires a driver. But when I do a scan, it just ends up saying 'driver load failed'.
    access-mdb,
    Hello... I can "Vouch" for Macrium Reflect Free as i use it all the time along with Acronis 2010 ...In Imaging, Recovering, and Cloning... Internal and External devices i have not experienced any problems ... With Macrium i also use the WinPE recovery disk...Sounds like that you have identified the problem ....Your "Network Controller"...I would look into that route and not blame Macrium....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks Just Plain Fred, but I've checked the driver from Control panel and it's 'the best'. I'm not sure what else I can do here. It works on my home network, so why not on the recovery disk...?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks Just Plain Fred, but I've checked the driver from Control panel and it's 'the best'. I'm not sure what else I can do here. It works on my home network, so why not on the recovery disk...?
    access-mdb,
    Hello... As i know nothing about "NAS" i can't advise you , But I'm confused by your question "Work's on Home Network" ..."Not on Recovery Disk" ...could you explain ? There are many Loungers that use a "Network" and this might be of help to discover you're problem...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Sorry for being confusing. I can use my Windows 7 homegroup with no problems, so I assume there's no problem with the network controller. It's only the recovery disk that can't see the network (where the NAS resides), but it's not obvious to me why not. That's why I am confused.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    access,
    When you boot from the WinPE into Macrium you should be seeing the exact same GUI ( user interface) as when you are running from Windows..Are you sure that your NAS drive letters are the same as when you are running from the boot disk as when your running it from within Windows?.. Just a guess...Regards Fred

PS: i know that backup programs always seem to jumble the drive letters.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I too am aware that WinPE jumbles the drive letters but the server and its share don't even appear. I've also found that the controller it wants the drivers for is the wireless one, but I don't use that one anyway. As the router/server is right by the PC I use the cable connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Seagate NAS is the real culprit here. As long as it supports standards based access (and not some sort of proprietary Windows driver or client software) then it should work. You will need to provide the model of your NAS in order to receive more relevant help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Build the bootable CD in "compatibility mode". That is one of the building options which I have on my 1 year old version of Macrium Free. I had to do this to get the boot CD to work with a 1TB USB disk.
    Hope it helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like two different issues

It sounds as if the Linux-based Macrium rescue CD can see the network but you haven't managed to log into the NAS over it. The NAS likely has its own username AND password (though you might have set them identical to the ones you use on your PC), and its servername in Linux might not be identical to the one in the Reflect restore page if that one was generated while you were running in Windows - though if you entered the servername first and it then asked for username/password it may be seeing the server via the name you entered and your problem would then only be entering the applicable username/password.

Unless, that is, it's asking for the username/password to validate that you have permission to access the image you want to restore and they have nothing to do with the NAS (though eventually you'd still presumably need to enter a username/password for it unless you've set it up without any).

If the Macrium Linux CD doesn't give you access to the underlying Linux system, you might grab a 'live' (bootable CD without any need to install) Linux variant and use it to see what IT thinks the NAS address and username/password are - which you could then use with your Macrium Linux rescue CD.

Then again, if you set up the NAS as part of a 'homegroup' Linux (and possibly WinPE as well) might find that difficult to deal with (just as earlier Windows systems right up through Vista do). Sigh.

By contrast, the WinPE-based rescue disk doesn't seem to be able to see the network at all (because it doesn't have the required driver for the PC's network hardware, unlike your PC on which the applicable driver was installed separately unless Windows provided an adequate default driver). Given that WinPE is asking for the wireless driver (which wouldn't help at all, given that you're using a cable) you might just be able to change some BIOS setting to make sure the wireless hardware is disabled (forcing WinPE to use the hardware it should) if you can't get sufficient access to the WinPE environment to change the choice in software.

Sorry for all the 'mights' above: I'm neither familiar with the Seagate NAS nor with Macrium, and for that matter not all that much more familiar with the specific networking problems you may be experiencing. But since you don't seem to have yet succeeded I thought I'd offer up what thoughts I could for whatever they may be worth.

(Incidentally, I use the free Seagate Disc Wizard version 11.0.0.8326 for virtually all my imaging needs and have generally found it to be very reliable. It's based on a recent version of Acronis True Image and its version of a 'rescue disk' does seem to claim to support remote shares though I haven't ever used that facility. Since you've got a Seagate NAS you might not even have to use the ALT/to 'technical override' workaround - which no longer works on the most recent version - to make it work without recognizing that a Seagate or Maxtor drive was present.)

Good luck!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-07-28),scaisson (2012-08-01)

Thanks
    Thanks Bill, I tried the Seagate Disc Wizard and I have been able to view the backup I made on the NAS, without any issues. I like the fact that you can test that it connects before going any further. I suppose I should do a full restore on my internal hard disk - but that's very scary! It's unfortunate that Macrium Reflect just refused to see the network attached storage - perhaps it's a limitation of the free software. But it doesn't say it can't backup to Nas drives so....

Thanks again Bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast