Thread: Generator Power

New Lounger
    Thanks

Generator Power

As a result of the recent derecho power outage that hit the eastern US I have been researching generators and have a question about running computers on generator power. I understand most generator power is not really acceptable for computers but what about powering a UPS from the generator that then powers the computer? I have run that way for years.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Stand-by generators generally consist of a Diesel engine driving a mechanical alternator. Alternators generate pure sine wave 3 phase just like you get on the grid, except it's probably cleaner due the the lack of noise from the transmission system and subscriber connections.

A UPS is generally one of two types, on-line and off-line. The off-line UPS connects the mains to the output and when the mains is interrupted the UPS generator kicks in, which means you get a very small outage between the mains and the generated output. An on-line UPS converts the mains to DC to charge the batteries and run the generator. As the generator is what powers the output there is never an interruption in the supply. The generator in a UPS is a solid state unit that produces an approximation of the sine wave that a mechanical alternator produces, some do a better job than others.

The computer power supply is not very fussy about power input because it converts the incoming mains to DC and then produces low voltage regulated DC. Almost any sort of AC like input of about the right voltage and frequency will run your computer.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    lbrough,

Hello... one thing that i would add to Paul's post.. Is that you get a Diesel Generator ...They are about twice to three times the cost of the gasoline type . Reason being (other than obvious engine difference) that you can store Diesel fuel for years without the problems of gasoline..I have done this for my tractor and generator.. i now keep at least 100 gallons of diesel fuel (and add a "Cetane" booster) in 55 gallon drums . You then rotate them as needed ... You can store Diesel safely ...but can not store large amounts of Gasoline without the danger associated with potential leaks and flammable fumes ( Diesel fumes if spilled or leaked are not flammable ie: Explosive) It costs more but well worth it.... Regards Fred

PS: have run my PC and APC backup UPS off the Diesel Generator system many times for days (live in rural area of the TN mountains)
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-18 at 12:00.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Generator Power

Thanks, guys, for your comments. Actually I have been running my computer during extended outages (eights days this last time) on generator/UPS power from a small portable generator run on natural gas and have done so for the past 25 years without any problems. I see now why.

Larry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Look out, another advertisement masquerading as comment.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, thanks for the report. He has been banned.

For anyone finding an obvious spam post simply click on the Report Post icon and all Moderators and Administrators will be notified of the spam.

Report Post.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-19 at 14:42.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe a ban is a bit harsh. Remove the ad and advise what is acceptable behaviour?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I also have a generator and if you are using a APC unit you should set the SENSITIVITY setting to LOW...Otherwise the APC shuts things down because of power source being a generator.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"