iNET Interactive
    Thanks

A real-world report on antivirus use

IN THE WILD

A real-world report on antivirus use settings

By Robert Vamosi

The top two antivirus products in use worldwide might surprise you.

Then again, they might not. Free products now dominate the AV market.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/in-the-wild/a-real-world-report-on-antivirus-use (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-07-18 at 13:58.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't read the name Zone Alarm or Check Point Software Technologies anywhere in the article. I have used this sofeware, along with Malwarebytes, for years have have experienced only one malware attack. Did OPSWAT even look at Zone Alarm?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbutler205 View Post
    I didn't read the name Zone Alarm or Check Point Software Technologies anywhere in the article. I have used this sofeware, along with Malwarebytes, for years have have experienced only one malware attack. Did OPSWAT even look at Zone Alarm?
    OPSWAT only reports market share, not effectiveness. Zone Alarm would probably have been included in the "other 11.1%", as they are not a major AV player; or possibly "Kaspersky 6.7%" since that's who apparently provides their anti-virus technology.

Check Point Zone Alarm anti-virus has been tested by Virus Bulletin whose tests were mentioned in the article (but not on Windows 7).

You weren't put off their products by their scareware tactics of a couple of years ago? (Perhaps if you already had their anti-virus you wouldn't have seen that.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-07-19 at 19:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find AVAST Free & MSSE play nice together so both are loaded

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    OPSWAT only reports market share, not effectiveness. Zone Alarm would probably have been included in the "other 11.1%", as they are not a major AV player; or possibly "Kaspersky 6.7%" since that's who apparently provides their anti-virus technology.

Check Point Zone Alarm anti-virus has been tested by Virus Bulletin whose tests were mentioned in the article (but not on Windows 7).

You weren't put off their products by their scareware tactics of a couple of years ago? (Perhaps if you already had their anti-virus you wouldn't have seen that.)

Bruce
    I agree with your assessment of Checkpoint and its ways of doing business. But I think it was several bad updates a few years back, which blocked all Internet access on some computers, which started folks looking for alternatives to Zone Alarm. Their AV components never got high ratings, as I recall.

To All --

In a more general vein, I personally don't care about a one or two percentage point difference. MSE-4 and some stand-alone scanners (Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, Hitman Pro (Cloud based multi-engine), etc.) seem to provide more than enough protection. Just two or three deep scans every couple of weeks seem to find anything malicious which may have slipped through.

I also find that being careful and using privacy extensions in browser activities keeps malware at bay pretty well.

For those who can put up with the incessant alerts, UACs and Smart Screen or Phishing Filters can also help.

I have several times posted in The Lounge about my personal dislike of Predictive Heuristics (HIPS, Zero-Day protections, Behavioral Prediction, etc.). I'd rather take a small risk of infection than wade through loads of false positives from predictive heuristics. Avast 5 and 6, for example, kept blocking access to my Windows XP Recycle Bin, based on Predictive Heuristics (The Avast File Shield). Avast 7 used the same shields to fatally damage the System Kernel in Windows 8, when both were in Beta testing. As I say, I dislike such unpleasantness.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-20 at 04:23.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    I find AVAST Free & MSSE play nice together so both are loaded
    And yet both companies strongly recommend that either product should be the only antivirus program installed:

Running multiple antivirus programs on the same computer can cause conflicts, that usually result in false positive detections, performance degradation and
    system instability
    . Therefore it is strongly recommended to uninstall all other previously installed antivirus applications before installing avast! on your computer.
    avast! Support Center

If you use more than one antivirus or antispyware program at the same time, your PC may experience decreased performance, become unstable, or restart unexpectedly. Before you install Microsoft Security Essentials, or if you want to resolve issues with Microsoft Security Essentials, including installation issues, you must first completely remove any Internet security programs from your PC.
    Microsoft Security Essentials FAQ

Bruce

Thanks
    Again, I'm with BruceR on this point. Avast likes to be the only AV program with active components on your computer. My supplemental security programs all are stand alone scanners. Except the Comodo Firewall, but that has no AV components installed. And I only use a third-party firewall on Windows XP. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 have fully functional firewalls of their own and do not need additional firewall protections. For added security, get and configure a secure router.

But there are some active AV category programs which are designed to work alongside traditional AV programs. These include Threatfire and PrevX, both of which add a layer of predictive heuristics to traditional AV programs and will usually play nicely with an installed AV program. But be careful with security suites -- these do not play well with supplemental security programs.

Again, I personally do not like predictive heuristics. I run the Comodo Firewall in Safe Mode all the time, which quiets down the popup Tray Alerts a lot. And my Windows XP laptop has not had an infection in years, except for a couple of times when I took actions which overrode the security programs' protections. Always my fault as in "end user error" -- not a firewall or AV program failure.
    -- Bob Primak --