iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Just (barely) getting started with Office 2013

BRIEFING SESSION

Just (barely) getting started with Office 2013

By Katherine Murray

This week, Microsoft made Office 2013 Consumer Preview available to the masses.

This new software still has a long way to go to achieve reliability, but you can test the tools, play with the new touch interface, and generally get a feel for this new release. Here are a few highlights.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/briefing-s...h-office-2013/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-07-18 at 14:11.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2013

Thanks for the article on Office 2013, I enjoyed readng it. I installed it and when I tried to open any of my Word documents it crashed everytime. I tried a repair but that didn't help so I uninstalled it and now my Word documents open. I currently have Office 2010 on Windows 7 64bit. I could not find out how to stop the Word documents from crashing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the Preview and was looking forward to using some of the enhanced features - particularly those in Outlook. The installation went without a problem. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to start using an application even while the entire package was still downloading. This streaming process worked well. Once installed the Preview apps worked without a hitch and Outlook connected to the Exchange server and my personal archive immediately.

I run a dual 24-inch monitor desktop on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. Outlook is open nearly full screen on the monitor right of center along with an IM client and a tool I use for monitoring client sites. The monitor directly in front is used for the work product and research. While the Preview apps worked at least as well as I expected I found it didn't take too long working in the apps before the eyestrain became painful.

At this point the Preview apps are essentially white on white. The title bar is white (except for the embellishments if selected), the ribbon bar is white, the frame is white and the workspace is white. The displayed fonts on tabs and menus are not black but a dark gray or blue so the contrast is minimized. Microsoft has apparently violated it's own rules as the title bar doesn't reflect any change when the window becomes the active window as in other products. Any way, I found that after only 10-15 minutes I felt like I had been staring directly into a high intensity light bulb trying to squint at light colored objects to determine what they were. The white on white just isn't workable on a desktop.

I did get to see the Preview on a 10-inch Samsung tablet running Windows 8 a couple of days ago. Given the smaller screen this white on white wasn't as bad and may be workable for tablets although I would still prefer some coloration just to help differentiate the areas on the screen. Of course the onscreen keyboard covers nearly half of the screen so the blinding effect is minimized further.

At this point I've removed the Preview from my system waiting on the GUI change to be more desktop screen friendly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not ready for the cloud yet either. I keep thinking it's just a big target for someone to break into. The more stuff you pile in one spot, the more tempting it is and if bank and credit card servers can be broken into I expect the "Cloud" can be.

Besides, like you I spend enough time offline that having everything on line would put a serious crimp in things.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Thanks

Office 2013 -- Designed for Metro?

Maybe... (personal opinion) ...

All-Caps Headings in Office 2013 may be better for Tablet screens, which are typically small and hard to read. Also, two-tone presentation may be difficult to read on a Tablet screen. Remember, in Microsoft's eyes, not only is local file storage "legacy", but so is the desktop or laptop PC platform with the "legacy desktop" and Win-32 Applications. Office 2013 is designed to be delivered by subscription in pieces in the Metro Interface as a series of Metro Office Apps. Metro Apps usually use Cloud Storage, not the local "legacy" file system. That is Microsoft's idea of the "future" of personal and business computing. Let's hope consumers don't buy into this model for personal or small business productivity application use. Larger businesses with regulatory mandates for local record keeping won't.

The above is personal opinion and does not reflect any knowledge of Microsoft's actual marketing plans for Office 2013.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Larger businesses with regulatory mandates for local record keeping won't [buy into cloud storage].
    Regulations specify how records must be stored? (sounds unlikely)

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Regulations specify how records must be stored? (sounds unlikely)

Bruce
    Actually, that should read "...won't buy into cloud-only file storage."

To some extent, this is in fact due to regulatory mandates. Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulations do require local storage and retention of email, and may require that other documents be stored locally and made available upon request to regulators. And of course, any business with Federal Reserve, SEC or HIPAA issues would want to have local storage of critical files.

This also means that many businesses would need to have a locally available and robust productivity suite which can be run off line (without connecting to the Internet).

Together, that's a lot of big businesses. And a significant share of the MS Office 2013 business market.

And perhaps Microsoft is offering an edition of Office 2013 tailored to the needs of these businesses.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about regulations, as I am not familiar with the details. But I hope you can see that I didn't make up my statement about regulations out of thin air.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-23 at 13:42.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Actually, that should read "...won't buy into cloud-only file storage."

To some extent, this is in fact due to regulatory mandates. Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulations do require local storage and retention of email, and may require that other documents be stored locally and made available upon request to regulators. And of course, any business with Federal Reserve, SEC or HIPAA issues would want to have local storage of critical files.

This also means that many businesses would need to have a locally available and robust productivity suite which can be run off line (without connecting to the Internet).

Together, that's a lot of big businesses. And a significant share of the MS Office 2013 business market.

And perhaps Microsoft is offering an edition of Office 2013 tailored to the needs of these businesses.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about regulations, as I am not familiar with the details. But I hope you can see that I didn't make up my statement about regulations out of thin air.
    A small discussion will suffice!

Can you point me to anywhere that those regulations specify "local"? Or any article that summarizes such a mandate?

Otherwise, I think you did make up your statement about regulations requiring local storage out of thin air.

Compliance
    Recognizing that data in many forms is one of government’s most prized assets, Microsoft has invested more than U.S.$2 billion in new data centers around the world. These centers today meet or exceed U.S. federal government and international security body standards. Microsoft online services and data centers adhere to stringent HIPAA, SOX, and FISMA requirements, and we expect to attain FISMA accreditation and certification by the third quarter of 2010. The data centers are also Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) 70 and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 27001 certified, and they are audited by independent, third-party security organizations.
    Cloud computing: Cloud basics; Security in the cloud

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    A small discussion will suffice!

Can you point me to anywhere that those regulations specify "local"? Or any article that summarizes such a mandate?

Otherwise, I think you did make up your statement about regulations requiring local storage out of thin air.

Compliance
    Recognizing that data in many forms is one of government’s most prized assets, Microsoft has invested more than U.S.$2 billion in new data centers around the world. These centers today meet or exceed U.S. federal government and international security body standards. Microsoft online services and data centers adhere to stringent HIPAA, SOX, and FISMA requirements, and we expect to attain FISMA accreditation and certification by the third quarter of 2010. The data centers are also Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) 70 and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 27001 certified, and they are audited by independent, third-party security organizations.
    Cloud computing: Cloud basics; Security in the cloud

Bruce
    Very interesting statement from Microsoft. At least they are trying.

You may be right about local storage not being required by regulations. I don't have enough detailed knowledge to give a definitive answer to that question.

Here's a Forbes guest article which discusses some of the issues with cloud storage and regulatory compliance. Again, nothing definitive, as far as I can determine. And here's what Computerworld had to say in 2009 on the subject. Still no conclusive answers, but plenty of questions, and rather specific discussions of some regulations.

I still think regulated businesses would feel safer having local copies of important files. And being able to produce these files on demand to regulators would be more practical with local storage, don't you think? These are the kinds of considerations which I would expect would drive business purchasing decisions.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro and Enterprise Editions of Office 2013 will allow for local storage and business as usual. Many businesses would be more comfortable that way, I think.

All things considered, I guess there is a big discussion ongoing about regulatory compliance and cloud storage, with many differing points of view. It's more complicated than I had realized in my first post on the subject (#5 above). This big discussion could break either way.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-25 at 13:21.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Cloud data storage is like hiring a moving company to come and pick up all of your prized possessions to store them for you. Then leaving you with nothing but a phone number to get them back.
    Just how comfortable would you be with that arrangement?
    I'm not there yet.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My (lowercase) office desktop runs off a wireless router which is connected to an Xfinity modem. When I installed (uppercase) Office on it, my first reaction was that it was Slooooooow. I've taken Katherine's advice and disabled the ground to cloud saving. The white on white is difficult to work with, for sure. I did not install any of the embellishments so now I'm going to go see if I can. All Caps is definitely shouting, in my view, and harder to read in addition.

Of course, none of the above really addresses the functionality of the product. That will take a while to figure out. I have loaded a document and it did not crash so that's a good thing.

~L