Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Kill those Vista and Win7 gadgets now!

TOP STORY

Kill those Vista and Win7 gadgets now!

By Woody Leonhard

In the unlikely chance that you're using Windows gadgets, you need to get rid of them — right now! Those seemingly innocuous accessory apps that you stick onto your desktop, included with Vista and Windows 7, could be used to subvert your system.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/kill-those-vista-and-win7-gadgets-now/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-07-18 at 19:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the danger confined to gadgets which might be inected that you download or can it apply to gadgets you already use that are virus free? I like my gadgets

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re your newsletter article you refer to MS Article 2719962 but when you click on this you get 2719662. Anay significance in the different number or just a typo ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My biggest question is why by this Thursday? It sounds like doomsday, or the Attack of the sidebar Widgets day. To remove at anytime, I understand entirely. But by Thursday? Why the deadline of Thursday?
    . hkb
    q8:{ }8p

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This article seems a bit alarmist to me. Surely if your PC is well-guarded already, the widgets don't provide a back door through firewalls, etc....

Lounger
    Thanks
    I sent the following response to Microsoft re the FixIt article that you referenced (MS Support article 2719962)

It says"To enable or disable this Fix it solution, click the Fix it button or link under the Enable heading or under the Disable heading. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.", but then promptly has the "ENABLE" over the Fix It button that has the text "Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets - Microsoft Fix it 50906"!!!! and "DISABLE" over the Fix It button that says "Enable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets - Microsoft Fix it 50907" !!!!!! Look for yourself - so which one should one click to DISABLE the gadgets???
    Please unscramble the confusion and pass on the correct one to choose, thanks.

I would be interested to hear your take on which button to click
    Brian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gadgets without sidebar

I would dearly love to apply the quote that "In Windows 7, you can run gadgets with or without the Sidebar". I seem to be able to run Gadgets only if the sidebar.exe is running (as shown in Task Manager). Could anyone tell me how to uninstall sidebar.exe but still be able to run the few gadgets that I use many times each day?

I know that I can drag the gadgets off the sidebar area and place them anywhere on the desktop, but that isn't really running the gadgets "without the sidebar" because if I then close sidebar.exe, all the gadgets close as well.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally (as I said in another post), I love my gadgets and will NOT be disabling them. Since I only use ones that have no internet connections (clock, CPU, network, calender and app launcher), I can't see why I need to get rid of them.

I think the article was very alarmist.

Alan

Lounger
    Thanks
    When you go up to Microsoft's gadget gallery, it does indeed say that " the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery. " It also states: "Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer". I guess my questions are: Is Microsoft a "Trusted Source?" Are the 9 gadgets that came with Windows 7, "Safe?" Are we being draconian by eliminating the feature entirely? Note: These are not rhetorical questions, I really would appreciate answers. - Thank you
    Last edited by BobOxford; 2012-07-19 at 05:48.
    Bob Oxford
    Software Wizards, Inc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    Just noticed that by disabling my Gadgets with the Microsoft FixIt... I also disabled my SOUND.

Running the other FixIt, re-enabled my sound...

I can't do without my sound, so what do i do now?

Is there another way to disable the Gadgets?

Help...

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by bbrowder; 2012-07-19 at 15:26. Reason: spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would anyone know if Google Side Bar and Gadgets have the same problem?
    //Ove

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a few gadgets that are quite old and I like to use. I have had them for years and I don't see why suddenly due to some convention that hackers will be out there looking for my Vista-era gadgets on my Windows 7 machine which is has a good firewall. Seem like they have been being phased out for quite some time and I just don't think they will be much of a target.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alarmist? Yeah, maybe; but necessary

@all those talking about "alarmist": You don't see the potential impact of unsafe software already running on the computer.

@alan sh: You LOVE your old duds (unexploded bombs) so much that you still sit on them when someone is beginning to hammer on the detonator. Comfortable place to be in!

With (hopefully some) reason: When Micro$oft comes out the way they did then they (M$) know that there is a really big dud sitting around.

Okay, there is some confusion about numbering. Go to Micro$oft's support web site and dig through it there! Not every piece of ice cream comes prearranged on a golden spoon!

What strikes me is NOBODY (so far) reported the error massage ("This installation package could not be opened ..." that I get when I try to run it (Win7 64-bit, fully up to date). Maybe I have overlooked something.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2012-07-19 at 07:23. Reason: typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sidebar and Gadgets - GRRRR!

Anybody remember that early 2007 (release of Vista) many machines were sold that I considered off the bat as underconfigured? In those machines the Sidebar and the Gadgets caused IMHO perceivable performance hits.

I remember many warnings to turn them off because of that and I gave that warning to all my customers with Vista or 7.

It always amazes me how many people use things like gadgets mainly because they are there.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2012-07-19 at 23:13. Reason: typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Win 7 fixit

Tried twice on my system (Win 7 Ultimate), but couldn't instal downloaded .msi file - got an error message (think it was 2378 or 2738). No apparent ill effects so far.

Allan

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast