3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows SoftwareDistribution file causing backup error

I use SyncBack Pro for scheduled file backups of my main drive. Starting with the last regular backup of the main drive (C) - and verified with manual runs - it's showing the following error (note: I is the backup drive):

\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{80795D73-5E72-4BD4-9902-9CA52F1CC853}.bin

Failed to copy from Left : Safe copy failed. Failed to rename temp file: File is locked (I:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{80795 D73-5E72-4BD4-9902-9CA52F1CC853}.bin): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
    ---

The operative question is, why is this single file among many of the same type and location on a backup HDD in use and what can I do to change that? Any ideas? Someone elsewhere suggested turning off all anti-virus software and running the scan, but that's risky and hardly speaks to the problem and, in fact, doesn't work with this one. Win 7x64. Thanks,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    highstream,
    Hello... It seems to me the clue is that the "File is in use". You will have to find out what is accessing this particular file.( you haven't said what kind of file it is) If it's a "Temp File" as stated you have to find what program created it, and is running.Might download and run Process Explorer..Also make sure that you "Own" and have "Rights" to rename the file in the "Temp Folder" that the file resides in. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assumed that from the path name it would be apparent that it's just another of the Windows software distribution files in the event cache subfolder. In Process Explorer, it shows as one of the svchost.exe host processes. Since the same file is in C drive, I'm not sure why it's now choosing the I drive version. I stopped the process, but by the time I tested the backup it had returned with a different PID and the error once again. I'm guessing there's a step further back to go, but I don't recognize anything like it in Component Services.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    highstream,
    Just to be on the safe side sometimes "Trojans" hide in svchost.exe, I am aware of a free program that will list all running svchost.exe scvhost analyzer it will show a green check next to each one if it's "Legit" .. there is no installation you just run the program Regards Fred

PS: Another thought to try... go and delete the "Temp files" C>Users>"PC Name">AppData>Local>Temp .... Select all and delete. Then try to run your program again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-18 at 16:16.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are two images from the Svshost Process Analyzer run: the overall and the one in which the problem file is located. This shows the C drive version, while apparently it's the I drive backup version that's been running. Where should I go from here? I'm wondering if a Safe Mode boot and deleting the I drive version might not be simplest, assuming it works. Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    highstream,
    Hello ...did you try to delete the files in the Temp folder?...Then retrying to run the program . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which Temp folder?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    highstream,
    See my post #4 for the path...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't seem to do it, so I went one by one through the many files listed as having differences between source and backup. With a manual run, SyncBack Pro prompts the user with all the differences and what is going to be done with each. The file in question had a "missing, prompt me" next to it, and I decided to mark it "skip" for now, which got rid of the error. Thanks.