Thread: TOC - Hidden

Thanks

TOC - Hidden

This is probably explained somewhere here, but I can't find it by searching. What is the trick about using a hidden paragraph mark to create a TOC? I've experimented a little, and I may be dense, but I can't get it to work. How do I insert a hidden paragraph mark to use two styles in one paragraph so that only the first style is used in a TOC?

Thanks!

-Rich.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: TOC - Hidden

Type the first paragraph, which is going to contain the text that's meant to go into the TOC.

Then type the second paragraph in the style that's not going to go into the TOC. When you type this paragraph, add two spaces to the start of the paragraph.

Now, go back to the end of the first paragraph (you must have Paragraph Marks showing), select the Paragraph Mark only, and then go to Format > Font and put a checkmark next to Hidden, then OK.

Then just make sure that you've got your options set to not show hidden text.
    To make your paragraph marks show, while keeping hidden text hidden, you'll probably find it best to deal with these settings via Tools > Options > View Tab. Just make sure there's a checkmark next to Paragraph marks, and no checkmark next to Hidden. And make sure there is no checkmark next to All.

When you create the TOC, indicate that you want to include the style that you used for the first paragraph.

Should work...

Gary

Thanks

Re: TOC - Hidden

Thanks. That's what I needed. -Rich.