The date you all have been waiting for.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WOOPEEE! However, some of us were not wiating on it!
    For those that were or even perhaps even some of those that were not or even knew it existed, which is the "MAJORITY" of the genaral public, it is just in time for the holiday season, cheers and good will towards men! I am sure that the coders at MS working on the next version are ESTATIC; this means that in a very few short months MS will issue a press release for the next NEWEST & BETTER MS-OS. Subseqently they will shortly there after release the BETA Release or Consumer Preview of said OS so they can get get a few thousand members of the general public to download and test it for them, thus doing their "JOB" for "FREE". It is "A-NO-BRAINER" & a "TOTAL-WIN-WIN" for MS. Right, Wrong, or Indifferent, you must hand it to "Ole Bill"; he did not get to be "THE", or "ONE of THE" richest men in the world by being a dummy! While I am a great admirer of his for his personal attributes as a coder, truth is, he has made more off of the efforts of others than he has from his own than any man in history. In fact, truth be admitted, he has basically built his fortune as well as his legacy by having the insight to know a good thing when he sees it and the insight to take it when it becomes available to him than he ever has from his own personal genius; the man should be president of the U.S. however, he is "TOO SMART" for that, there is "NO MONEY" in it for him; and in fact, it would take too much of his time up and preclude him from his "FIRST LOVE", "MAKING MONEY"
    So now we can move on and prepare ourselves for the next 3-years of dicussions concerning updates, service packs, etc... for WIN8 as well as the onslaught of posts to inform us that we are using the "OLD & Lousy" and should download and test out WIN-9, code named-"WHO-GIVES-A-HOOT" Personally I simply do not have that much free time on my hands and my closet is full of outmoded yesterdays "NEW&BETTER" software and programs. I have spent the past 25 years or more falling prey to that mentality that what I had was not up to date or there was something better I really should have and spend my hard earned money on. Engulfed by it all I did not stop to think, is what I have doing the job I need done? Now that I am much older and a little wiser, I can honestly answer that question and not be influenced by the childish behavior of feeling the need to be in the "NEW IN CROWD", and the answer is, "YES IT DOES", subseqently, I think I will be happy with what I have as far as an OS is concerned and keep my money in the bank or spend it on something for my grandsons; then again, I may get greedy and put it down on airfare to Rome or Paris and soak up some much needed sun, Bill will be alright with out my help this time around!
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-20 at 09:48. Reason: offensive language

Thanks
    For those reading this forum and adding positively to the discussions therein, we were waiting for this announcement!

There were millions of downloads of the various Win 8 betas, not a "few thousand members of the general public" as you mention. Most people agree that having people other than the developers test and provide feedback on a new piece of S/W is the much preferred method of testing new S/W. This gives a much broader perspective of the good points, and the bad points that need polishing on any new S/W. I believe this is especially important in a new OS. The more people looking for the problems, the better. Perhaps this is why Win 8 RP is the most complete beta I have ever used.

No one has to make the change if they do not wish to. You can stick with whatever OS you are using and be content that it will continue to work as expected for you. Your personal feeling on the leaders of MS not withstanding, any developer of any piece of S/W, for the most part, wish to make a profit off that S/W. Even most of those free apps available have paid alternatives that are more feature rich. In the case of Win 8 Pro, the outlay of capital will be the least in recent memory.

So yes, millions of people have been waiting for this announcement, and that includes most of the people bothering to read and add to the discussions in this and all Win 8 forums. For those not wanting to upgrade, good for them. For those that do, good for them as well. My Win 8 experience has exceeded my expectations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I was sad to see
    that his Caps Lock key
    was working, thorough-lee.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well Mr. Meyers I certainly respect your right to hold and voice your opinion; I simply do not agree with you that WIN 8 is the best thing since the peanut butter & jelly sandwich. For the record and just so that you know that I did not voice my possibly over zealous opinion with out having a look at it myself; I, in fact, downloaded it myself many months back and installed it on an older Dual Core with 4GB RAM rig I built from a kit purchased from TigerD about three years ago. I admit that I did not do enough of my homework before I attempted the install and quickly found out that unlike WIN7 I could not do a full clean install from the DVD on a preformatted HDD. Subsequently I had to reinstall a copy of XP and go that route due to the fact that I wiped out the XP OS before I started. After about a week of toying with it and delving into it I came to the conclusion, that(in my most humble opinion) other than the touch screen Metro portion (which is designed to make money) I could not find much that WIN 7 did not already offer. Which brings to mind what I have read on many of your more than numerous posts concerning the Pros of WIN 8 where you state that you yourself click away from it and go to the familiar desktop. I admit it boots up a few seconds faster than WIN 7 and quite a few over XP; however, I am simply not in that much of a hurry in my older age. If I am in that much of a hurry to get on a desktop and compile a text file I can jump on one of my old Tandy 1000 Models running DOS and DeskMate in ROM, it boots instantaneously and yes even has a network card and can surf the net, though in limited capacity, obviously! If I am really lazy I can kick back in bed with my old trusty Model 100! However, getting back to the subject, I believe you will see some brisk sales at first due to the offer to upgrade for $39.99 in 131 markets along with the other offer of $14.99 for consumers who buy new Windows 7 PCs between June 2 and Jan. 31 next year. However, an article on PCWorld a while back touched on this:
    http://www.itworld.com/285146/window...word-microsoft and
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confi...oo-7000000409/
    Though the BETA GURUS may be more interested in this: which I realize as with everything else conserning WIN 8 you have previously posted it here at the lounge.
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/05/win...rmed-to-be-15/
    I tend to agree from my own personal test drive with the PCWorld article to some extent. However, the main thing for me is that I do not believe that you will see corporate America as well as others around the globe flock to upgrade their systems to WIN 8, at least not in the world of anything other than new laptops which are touch screen equipped which they purchase on lease and trade off like new cars every two or three years, tax free as business expenditures, I might add. In fact, I grant as well as challange you to dispute it that there are millions of computers all over the world still using XP and even WIN 2000 PRO for that matter being used to run the factory machines and in house systems. So unless MS makes them one heck-of a-deal they are unlikely going to jump on the bandwagon. Unless MS can convince or entice the coporate world into getting onboard I believe you will see something similar to what happened with VISTA. Another thing for some users is not simply the cost of upgrading their current OS and purchasing a touchscreen monitor or even a new system with it installed as OEM, it is the fact some of us have hundreds or even thousands of dollars invested in software that will not allow us to piggyback it along for the ride, the same as Woody explained concerning the DVD codecs. And the home user market or professional devloper market is a drop in the bucket compared to what the corporate world has invested in equiptment and software still running in, again on millions of places and for that matter in probably millions of systems installed on SBC 486/586 MOBO's. However some or even a lot of this blame must be placed on the Mobo manufacturers who in their infinite wisdom have elected to decide that there is no longer the need for a board with a parallel or serial port on the board; this is simply not the case my freinds; in fact I do not believe you can even purchase a desktop system with a floppy drive or the space to install one anymore other than a custom built rig,(which I do myself) again, this is simply not the case in the corporate world in the manufacturing segment. Another thing I find interesting regarding your rebuttal is your mention of the fact that testers are an accepted method of bettering a software release, I agree SIR, however, if my memory serves me correctly, back in the good ole early days the BETA testers got something more than a thankyou from the developer. Perhaps Mr. Gates has forgotten that or perhaps more accurately, the new whiz kids are not aware of it at all! If MS truly wants to impress me then they should give all of you real die hards the $14.99 deal they are giving for the new WIN 7 PC buyers at $14.99!
    Well enough of my rant for one day; however before I make my exit, Please allow me to say that for you Mr. Meyers, I am some what dissapointed in your remark regarding-"For those reading this forum and adding positively to the discussions therein", I was not aware that opinions which differed from yours were considered negative SIR! I would also like to add this for Mr BATcher; I refrained from using my shift key (not caps lock)to emphasize my point just for you SIR! However, I would like to share this with you if I may SIR, I spent many years onboard a combat submarine as a technician in the Weapons Department patrolling submerged with another 120 plus , I was number 121 depending on who was doing the counting, it is accepted that whom ever is doing the counting is always number 121! My point is that I pride myself on being an XPERT in being a (fill in the blank) if I choose to conduct myself as such, which I genrally do not. So please, let's not have any further childish stabs towards one another, I do not believe I have acted in this manner to date; if I have I assure you that it was not my intention SIRS and if you felt or feel that way then I here and now offer my utmost and sincerest apology at this time. However, I will add this to the discussion: "Any man can act smart; it takes a smart man to act dumb"!
    In conclusion, I wish you all a great day and will close with a quote from an old Dave Mason song: There ain’t no good guy, there ain’t no bad guy, There’s only you and me and we just disagree. ----Aloha!
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-20 at 10:43. Reason: language

Thanks
    Yes, we do disagree, nuff' said.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Hi Ted,
    "Quick Question"....I have not tried "Win8" but i just procured another Hard Drive, and once installed i was thinking of "giving it a go" with"8" Would you just wait for the October date, or try one of the Beta's first?..Thanks ....Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-20 at 10:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I would definitely install Win 8 RP for a couple of reasons.

1) This way you can learn your way around and try some of the plethora of customizations we have listed in this forum. This way before the release date you will know how you wish to customize it. I would start with this thread then go from there.

2) Testers using Win 8 RP will be eligible for the $40 upgrade price.

Have fun with this OS Fred. I know I do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2012-07-20)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted ...Will give it a try...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Burn the ISO file to DVD and Clean Install from the DVD. Since it appears this is a blank HD you would probably have to anyway. I have found very few apps that do not work well on Win 8. I would do your customizations first, make an Image, then start with apps. Because it's still beta, there are some apps that do cause problems with the install. Images are indispensable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would definitely install Win 8 RP for a couple of reasons.

2) Testers using Win 8 RP will be eligible for the $40 upgrade price.
    But so will anyone else.

Bruce

Thanks
    Not on a blank HD. Something would have to be installed as a qualifying OS. I believe Fred states he acquired another HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not on a blank HD. Something would have to be installed as a qualifying OS. I believe Fred states he acquired another HD.
    Same from RP:

"People moving from the Windows 8 Release Preview will need to make sure you have an underlying license for either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7."
    Microsoft confirms Windows 8 testers to get $40 upgrade price, too

But you're now touting as an advantage something you said a couple of days ago that you wouldn't advocate (if it was possible):

Theoretically then an unscrupulous person could buy a new HD and use the Win 8 RP install, then the Win 8 Pro install. I do not advocate this because it probably does not follow the EULA.
    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-07-20 at 21:44.

Thanks
    As you can plainly see I said "qualifying OS" I guess I was unclear, I'm sorry for that. Yes some kind of licensed OS would have to be installed first, then install Win 8 RP.

I have no idea, if during the install process of Win 8 RP, you format your HD, that any info of the underlying licensed OS would be able to be read by the Win 8 RP installation and then subsequently the Win 8 Pro installation. How would that be possible?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you can plainly see I said "qualifying OS" I guess I was unclear, I'm sorry for that. Yes some kind of licensed OS would have to be installed first, then install Win 8 RP.
    I can plainly see that you were talking about a non-RP upgrade when you mentioned a qualifying OS.

Bruce