Star Lounger
    mountains, North Carolina, USA

Formatting a Merge Field from an Excel Database Office 2007

I am trying to Mail Merge some data from an Excel Spreadsheet into a Word Document. The number in the spreadsheet contains several places to the right of the decimal that I do not need in the Mail Merged document. I would rather not change the values in the spreadsheet if I can help it.

As a last resort I can set up additional columns and use the Round function to round to the appropriate number of places.

Am wondering if there is a way to round the data in the merged field. Example (Spreadsheet # is 1.12345678, I would like the Mail Merged document to be 1.123).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Larry P

Manning, South Carolina
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,323 Posts

You need to format the merge field in the master document.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    To control number & currency formatting in Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
    • select the field;
    • press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
    • edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# ,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
    • position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
    • run your mailmerge.
    Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
    • \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
    • \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
    • \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
    • \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
    • \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values
    The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.
    If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed. Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]