New Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail & IE9 problem on single PC

I'm trying to access Hotmail via IE9 on a Windows 7 PC. My IE9 works fine for every other site except Hotmail. I'm able to access my Hotmail account from another PC on my home network, my PC at work, and from my iPhone. I was able to download Firefox and access my Hotmail from the problematic PC.

I have the same problem trying to access my Hotmail on this PC whether I'm using my favorites shortcut, the link to Hotmail on MSN, or the link on the Bing home page.

When I sign in, I can see the address bar flashing back and forth, and then I get a modifed sign in page that tells me "The Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons: This site may be experiencing a problem, or This site may not be a member of the Windows Live Network"

If I try to login again, I get a pop-up box telling me IE has stopped working and I can either check online for a solution and close the program, or just close the program.

What's interesting is that if I go to the Hotmail service status page, I get a message that Hotmail is running normally, and I can see that I'm now signed in to Windows Live, I can see my mail count, I can acess my profile, but I cannot acess my inbox, calendar, or contacts (returns me to the page mentioned above). I can however access my Skydrive.

I have:
    1) Restarted IE9
    2) Restarted the PC
    3) Cleared cookies
    4) Reset IE9

The problem has persisted for over 24 hours.

My MSE definitions are up to date, and the most recent scan was this morning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Try to delete all TIF, cookies, etc. Perhaps there is a stored page that is preventing proper loading.

You could also try IE 9 without add-ons, safe mode.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-20 at 05:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Resolved: Hotmail & IE9 - LastPass Add-on

Disabled all add-ons, but that didn't seem to help. But I checked and found that some of them were outdated. Installing the latest version of LastPass resolved the problem (but strange it didn't impact any other sites that require logins).

Thanks
    Glad your problem is solved.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Spoke too soon. The problem is back.

Seemed to re-appear after I re-enabled to WOT plug-in. However, nothing I've since done has fixed the problem. IE9 works fine everywhere except when I attempt to login to Windows Live. Using "back door" links I can access my Windows Live profile, see my mail count, access Skydrive, but cannot access Inbox, Calendar, or Contacts. Everything works fine if I run in Safe Mode, or try from Firefox, or try to access my account from another device.

I tried to restore to a point before the problems, but the next to the oldest point (only a week old) still has problems. Unfortunately, my oldest restore point is almost 2 months old, and I made several big installs/changes since then that I don't want to revisit - but I'm 99% sure that all of them were completed well before my Hotmail problem began.

Any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Disable WOT.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Already disabled and uninstalled. Does not resolve the issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodxi View Post
    Already disabled and uninstalled. Does not resolve the issue.
    How do you access Hotmail ? is it done directly from the web or using Windows Live Mail.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I access Hotmail through the web portal, generally from the Hotmail link on either the MSN or Bing home pages. I believe I've only ever fired up Windows Live Mail once.

I'm wondering if one of the more recent IE9 updates "broke" something in one of my add-ons? I also don't understand why running IE9 with my add-ons manually disabled doesn't work on this one PC, but running IE9 in "Safe Mode" does work. I can also access Hotmail in Firefox 14 on this PC with all of the add-ons enabled.

Thanks
    Nimrodxi,
    Your problem sounds very similar to one that I had a while back. Give this a go. Open up I.E. and click on tools. From there click on Internet Options. In that screen, click on Security, and then Trusted Sites, Sites. Scroll through the list, and delete everything that has to do with Microsoft. I know it sounds weird, but you may have a double entry that is causing the problem, at least that is what we (MSFT Store in Seattle) saw after about a week of my scratchin my head, and hour of head scratchin up there.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to t8ntlikly For This Useful Post:

Nimrodxi (2012-07-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had 2 "live.com" sites in the trusted sites. I deleted them, and was able to log into Hotmail. I've reinstalled LastPass and WOT, and everything still seems to be working. This may have solved the problem, thanks.

Thanks
    Good! thanks for posting back.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

John,
    I was going round and round--I didn't seem to have any duplicates, but I deleted everything in Trusted Sites, and bingo, Outlook loads with no problems. Don't understand, but it worked.

Thanks
    You're Welcome!
    Thanks John