New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Folder

Windows 7 (64bits)

I believe Windows Updates are stored in a folder(s) called "catroot &/or catroot2"
    Data (old) in these folders are supposed to be deleted when (new) data - updates - are downloaded & installed. But a lot of the time the old outdated data is not deleted. Consequently over time these folders hold large amounts of "outdated" data & take up usable storage space.

I want to delete the "catroot & catroot2" folders in order to save usable storage space.
    The question is: If i deleted these folders, will Windows (upon discovering that there are no folders to store Updates) automatically create new folders in which to store the Updates ?

Thanks in advance for any assist.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A Microsoft comment here suggests that Windows/System32/catroot2 is automatically re-created, but not Windows/System32/catroot:

Important Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated if the Catroot folder is renamed.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Bruce

Thanks
    It would be a good idea too prior to deletion, if you were to copy the folders to a secure location off the main drive (a drive that is not indexed) for a time to ensure you have the originals in the event something does go amiss.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Catroot & Catroot2 Folders (Windows Update)

So maybe the best thing to do is to delete all the updates - except the last one or two - in the folders. That way the folders remain on the system and the pathway remains valid.