Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Security for Windows 7

I have read the recent articles concerning security for Windows 7. I am using Microsoft Widows Essentials with Trusee Rapport as a support for sensitive areas.

What is your view on the various pai and free security systems availabe and do you prefer a different way forward that what I am using and if so. Why?

Gerrimac

Thanks
    This same topic has been asked and discussed several times in this forum:

Which Anti Virus

MSE, How good is it?

Anti Virus Thoughts

Recommend AV software

and others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Trusteer Rapport is usually touted by banks as extra security, if you bank using your computer, you'd be safer doing it via a live Linux distro like Ubuntu.

Rapport can also trigger BSOD's.

New Lounger
    Thanks

scurity windows 7

Many thanks for all the advice given by fellow loungers. This is my first post and i have been most impressed with all replies

Gerrimac

Thanks
    I'm probably the odd man out in here;

I use MSE with MBAM's free edition for supplemental spot checking and nothing else.
    I also have UAC turned completely off and do not operate outside my admin account.

I use the default Windows 7 firewall with a hardware router.

The largest extent of my security goes into the way I use my computer and a backup regimen in place that I can rely on.
    If I ever need to do a system recovery it would not take any longer than 20 min to an hour.

I have yet to encounter a serious issue since moving to Windows 7 64 bit with this setup.

New Lounger
    Thanks

security windows 7

Many thanks to eveyone for your very good advice.

Gerrimac

Thanks
    Actually Clint, my setup is almost identical to yours. I firmly believe in a multi-layered security system. The only difference is Malwarebytes Pro in real time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    if you bank using your computer, you'd be safer doing it via a live Linux distro like Ubuntu.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Rapport can also trigger BSOD's.
    So can any program.

Bruce

Thanks
    Ted, you said
    Actually Clint, my setup is almost identical to yours. I firmly believe in a multi-layered security system. The only difference is Malwarebytes Pro in real time.
    Did you drop the third party firewall in addition to the Windows firewall?

Jerry

Thanks
    *The same old security advice preached over the years, like scrutinizing email attachments and avoiding using email links, are
    just as valuable today as they were when Windows 98 first came out, or earlier.
    *Keeping up on the shenanigans spammer's and other miscreants use in everyday web browsing and websites too, goes a long way in preventing, or at least
    catching and curtailing browser redirects, ...that seems to be quite common problem today.
    Browser redirects, I find, are among the worst of it. Using taskmanager to close them out are a pain in the butt, but that is what needs to be done
    when your browser gets intractably redirected. These days you can have 10 browser windows open and 4 to 6 of them may be redirected or rendered useless.
    More of an anoyance than anything, but novices can easily pick up something nasty in the process.
    *Another big problem for many users are a bad habbit of installing software directly from an internet site's download link. Go to the main site to download
    a specific program if possible and avoid third party links when possible...and allow your AV/AM app to do it's job after the app has been downloaded to a secure location.

Some of the best security will be one's working knowledge of his/her own setup; what software processes are running and the why/where/when/how of it.
    Just an indepth overall knowledge of what's running in your system will make it much easier when it comes time to spot something that doesn't look right.

And of course the most important; a tried and true means of a backup and restoration regimen.
    There are many possibilities and regimens, find one that works best for you and don't rely on System Restore, it's a bandaid solution at best for n00bs with no other working recourse. In otherwords, it's not to be relied upon for your sole means of getting yourself out of trouble.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Doc Brown (2012-07-26)

Thanks
    Yes, I dropped the 3rd party firewall a while ago when they sold out to Emisoft and changed the version levels.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Clint
    My wife's PC encounters browser redirect problem very recently.
    I ran Mbam Free from CD. Did not find any. Downloaded a fresh Mbam Free. Founding nothing. The already 'Real Time Protection' MSE was no help on detecting beforehand. Also ran MSE full scan; found nothing.
    1. Would you give us a tutorial on getting rid of this annoying redirect?
    2. My wife was a venturous kind. Could you give a 'talk' on how the infection occur?
    3. Is log on as User better than Admin against this infection?
    System Info:
    Vista32, Firefox and IE. MSE for real-time protection; up to date.
    Has router as hardware firewall.
    [Log on as Admin while surfing (!).]
    IE gets more redirects. Firefox too but seems less than IE.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint is 100% correct. You can't stop everything, but knowledge is one of your best defenses.

Regarding A/V, I've long been a proponent for paid products, Kaspersky being my most recent favorite. Still there's something to be said for free products. In particular MSE. At work we're implementing SCCM (Microsoft Systems Center) which also gives us Microsoft Endpoint Protection. MS Endpoint Protection is nothing more than MSE with an enterprise management layer over the top. We were skeptical at first but have had several glowing recommendations by people in IT that have no special reason to endorse Microsoft. Once my current supscription to Kaspersky is up at home, I'm switching to MSE.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I use a setup for Windows 7 very similar to CLiNT. But since I have a 64-bit installation, I prefer a native 64-bit scanner for second opinions. MBAM, while good, is a hybrid 32/64 application. Super Antispyware is a native 64-bit scanner. I haven't tried to install Version 5.5 into Windows 8 RP yet, so I also use a shortcut to my Windows 7 installation of SAS to scan Win 8 RP (pinned to the Win 8 taskbar on the Legacy Desktop). SAS Definitions have to be updated in both OSes to be up to date, but otherwise, the scanner seems to be doing its job equally well on either side of my dual-boot setup. Windows 8 renames MSE as Windows Defender, but otherwise, there's little if any difference.

So my setup for Windows 7 is MSE-4 plus Super Antispyware 64-bit. I see no reason to add anything else, except to place privacy controls into both IE 9/10 and Chrome browsers. (I don't use Firefox in Windows 7 because I didn't like the way it was using system resources. And in Win 8 there's no Metro version of Firefox.) Browser choice is not so important as being careful in web browsing, email viewing and downloading behaviors. Among other user habits.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    @scaisson
    Most if not all of the browser redirects I have encountered did not leave a lasting impression. (nothing installed into the OS's code or otherwise)
    This is by far the most common; browsing the internet when all of a sudden with your nest click you get redirected to another site, and if you've had several browser tabs open, some of them may be affected as well. But quite often it's confined to those open browser windows and nothing infectious gets through....provided they are closed down and usually with taskmanager, one should, obviously, avoid clicking on anything in the redirected browser window(s). Many times you'll see they are aggressive ads.

So there won't be much one can do to avoid this sort of browser redirect, and it will be far more prevalent on the darker seedier side of the internet, among other places. And yes, it does seem to occure more often in IE than many other browsers.

One thing that one should do after encountering these redirects would be to empty the browser's cache. MSE has on occasion detected things like this lurking in there: Rogue:JS/FakePAV. (after encountering a page with the following...)

Every once in a while I'll run into a redirect that sends me to a page with the fake "Windows Antivirus 2012", that is when taskmanager should be used.
    It's far better to loose all your open browser windows than to get infected by this thing.

Limited User Account
    Yes, it would be better to browse while in a limited user account as opposed to a full admin account.
    I have a bad habbit of not doing this as I have used the admin account soly for many years and I just can't get myself into switching to a more limited account for some tasks. It took me years to even consider password protecting the admin account, that's how lazy I am.

Super Antispyware
    Yes, I do have a version of Super Antispyware waiting in the wings, not installed on my system, and probably in need of a version update,
    but I do like to keep copies around in the event I need a second, second opinion. I like to keep the amount of installed programs to a
    minimal.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-07-31 at 00:41.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast