Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening older document in Word Starter 2010

I was sent a file by e-mail and when I opened it in Word Starter 2010 it was mostly blank. The chapter number appears at the top and a paragraph in italics. The rest of the page is blank, the next page is blank, etc. Where there are tables, the boundary lines of the table show up, but no text. Sometimes the caption at the bottom of the table does appear. There are some places with bullets, where several bullets appear on the page with no text. The other chapter has a bit more showing. A couple of the tables did appear and some other paragraphs, again in italics. It seems that the "regular" text doesn't show up.

It’s apparently an older document. The filename starts with Word 97 and is listed as being in Word 97-2003 format. The extension is .doc and not .docx. I wouldn’t think the fact that I have the Starter and not the full program would prevent a document from showing up.

Someone suggested that perhaps I need something to enable 10 to read the older file. I remember in the past I needed to download something in order for an older program to be able to open .docx documents, but it hadn’t occurred to me that the reverse might be true.

I ended up opening it in WordPerfect and the full document appeared. So, the document itself was fine.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try adding the Office Compatibility pack:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...010168676.aspx

Don't know if the starter edition will support it but its worth a try.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try adding the Office Compatibility pack:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...010168676.aspx

Don't know if the starter edition will support it but its worth a try.

Jerry
    That's for older Office versions (2000/XP/2003) to be able to open newer document formats (i.e. file name extensions ending with x).

Bruce

Thanks
    oops. You'r right Bruce. My mistake.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The problem may be that much of the content has been formatted as hidden text. Try clicking on the ¶ symbol on the Ribbon. If the displayed text changes, input the following keystroke sequence:
    Ctrl-A, Alt-o, f, Alt-h, Enter
    This will remove the 'hidden' font attribute throughout the document.
    Last edited by macropod; 2012-07-22 at 00:52.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion, but that didn't help. All the symbols appeared (dots between the words that do appear; little arrows after the bullets, etc.) but none of the missing text came back.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the following keystroke sequence:
    Ctrl-A, Alt-f, o, Alt-c, a, Enter
    This will apply the automatic font colour attribute throughout the document.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could attach an extract from the document, showing some of the problem areas. We may then be able to advise further. You can attach a file via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl-A selects the whole document; Alt-f brings up "info" with sections such as "Compatability Mode" and "What is Word Starter 2010?"; o brings up the Open Files box; Alt c doesn't seem to do anything; a puts an "a" in the File name box; and Enter brings up a box saying that file "a" is not found.

I could check with the person who is writing the document to see if I could attach it. Since it's a book in progress, he might not want anyone else to see it at this point.

The ones who forwarded the file to me were able to see everything on their computer and I was able to see it all when I opened it in WordPerfect. I think they said that he uses Apple, so that might give you a clue, but it doesn't explain why they are able to get it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, that should have been:
    Ctrl-A, Alt-o, f, Alt-c, a, Enter
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What is Word Starter 2010 is a cut-down edition of the full Word application that comes with MS Office and is typically supplied free with new PCs (AFAIK end-users can't buy it).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still no luck. That brought up the font menu and chose "Automatic" for color. Enter didn't do anything, so I clicked the "OK," but there was no change in the document.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I didn't see your 2nd response before. I was just giving examples of topics that came up when it showed "Info" - not actually asking the question. I know what the Starter is, but while there are some things it can't do, I wouldn't think that just opening a document would be one of them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure the content you're expecting to see is actually in the document? As for being able to open the document - it seems that much, at least, has been established; otherwise you wouldn't be seeing any content.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the text is there. Not only did the ones forwarding to me have it, but when I opened it in WordPerfect, all of the text was there. That's what seems so weird.

Also, when I saved it as a Word document before sending it to them, the version on my screen looked very different, but apparently was right on theirs. It was in a font I don't have (Gill Sans MT), but if I pasted one paragraph at a time of text in another font, without retaining the original font, or if I typed right next to existing text, it still came up in the Gill Sans. But, when the new version was opened in Word, while it still said that it was Gill Sans MT, it looked very different. I thought it looked like Courier. And it suddenly had very large side margins, with a lot of short lines in the middle. However, when the others who were editing it sent it back to me, the font didn't look like the one on my screen, and the lines were longer. So the version they opened and printed looked different from the one I sent them!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In that case, there's probably a font issue, at least, which you should be able to correct via Ctrl-A, then applying any font that you do have on your system (eg Gill Sans). the other symptoms point to some form of document corruption that Word Starter is less able to handle than the other applications.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast