New Lounger
    Thanks

How to retrieve an overwritten image backup

Hello,

I have been searching online for ways to get myself of a bad situation and I found this forum. I would like to know if there is any way for me to undo and image overwrite. Here is my situation (4 questions):
    I did an image backup of my laptop which is win7. Then I immediately followed with an image backup of my desktop which is vista. Both on ext hard drive.
    The next day I found myself needing the image of my laptop. But when I tried to restore my win7 laptop I got messages saying that I couldn’t restore without vista install cd’s. This leads me to believe my win7 laptop image was overwritten by the more recent vista image; also there is only one image backup file on the hdd even though I backed up two cpu’s.
    Another tidbit is that my laptop and desktop have the same name (laptop=eagle and desktop=Eagle).
    1. CAN I EVER RECOVER THIS OLD IMAGE? I haven’t used the ext hdd since the incident occurred.
    2. I know windows tells of overwriting If space is compromised, but I have way more than enough space on the ext hdd. Why overwrite when there is 200gb of space available?
    3. For future reference, would you recommend keeping two images on the same ext hdd?
    4. Also, what is the best way to save multiple incremental images on the same ext hdd
    win7 ultimate 64bit sp1

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    ihsan125, Welcome to the Lounge. I wish it were under better circumstances.

First, plug in the external HD and see if there is more than one image on the drive.

During the Imaging effort, there should be a place to add a name for the Image you are creating. It is important to name these Images differently. As you can see it is also important to have different names for each PC (Mine are called TedLaptop and TedDesktop). If you let the app use default Image names, seeing your PC's names are the same, you are probably up that proverbial creek without a paddle. In all probability the app assumed you were Imaging the same PC a second time.

If you indeed did overwrite the first Image with the second, you are out of luck. The only way to recover deleted data is if it HAS NOT been overwritten.

Switch to a 3rd party Back up Imaging app in the future as you will have much more control over what and how the Image is created and restored.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    not sure if this makes a difference but i checked the ext hdd and the only image is labeled "eagle" with a lowercase "e". IT IS THE ONE I NEED. Now i really dont understand why I cant restore.

Thanks
    Unless you changed the case of the E for each Image, you probably only have one with the second image you created. This is why it's so important to name each Image properly. Having 2 with such similar names could be confusing you or the PC. Since you only have one image listed try the procedure I mention below. If this Image is your Win 7 Image you are golden. If however it is the Vista Image you are the opposite of golden.

I have never used the Win 7 Backup / Restore function. I use a 3rd party app, Acronis. When I wish to restore my Image I have to insert the Boot Disk I made with Acronis, boot to the Boot Disk, and choose to boot to Acronis, choose what Image I wish to restore, choose where to restore, then proceed.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-21 at 18:28.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you could use some file recovery software to find the image file for your laptop. This may be possible if the original area on the drive wasn't used for the second image.

I can't remember the names of some file recovery software, but some of the forum members will.
    George

Thanks
    1. CAN I EVER RECOVER THIS OLD IMAGE?
    Very very unlikely to recover an entire image without some form of serious corruption to the image file even with the best of tools.
    3. For future reference, would you recommend keeping two images on the same ext hdd?
    Yes, but you will need a 3rd party imaging app like Macrium or acronis, et al. As you have already found out the hard way, MS backup and Restore image
    doesn't quite cut it for multiple images of differing operating systems created on the same ext drive. (it gets seriously confused)
    4. Also, what is the best way to save multiple incremental images on the same ext hdd
    win7 ultimate 64bit sp1
    Save your W7 and Vista images in separately named folders on the ext drive and use a 3rd party imaging tool.

Your imaging needs are probably a bit too complex for the default Windows imaging solution.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-07-22 at 09:58.

Thanks
    I have images from 3 separate PC's on my Ext HD. I just store them in separate folders for each PC, and name then such as the OS name, and sometimes an added app name in the Image file name, along with adding a date to the Image.

First Screen shot shows main Ext HD top level:

Seagate1.jpg

Second Screen Shot shows Image file names on My Laptop

Seagate2.jpg

You will also notice that many of my Images include both OS's on my HD in a dual Boot scenario. I can restore either Win 7 or Win 8 RP from these Images. Acronis knows how to do it.

I also create my Images by booting to the Acronis Boot Disk. This way the Images are created outside the Windows environment. I used to create then from inside Windows, but it is slower because the app has to "freeze" the OS (for lack of a better word). I always clean up the OS completely of all temp files, then defrag prior to creating an Image.

The last thing I do after creating an Image is to restore to that Image. During a restoration the partition is formatted then the Image is restored. This provides the ultimate defrag as everything is cleaned from the partition during the format.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-22 at 10:17.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Try double clicking on the image file to see if it opens up for recovery and if its the one you want.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone 4 the replies. I tried again with the win7 repair disk and it flopped. I got the same “cant retore in this environment” message.
    From your replies Im getting the following:
    OVERALL: Im fu----ed on getting that image back
    Ted/Clint: I should consider an alternative backup software and plans
    High Sierra: I have called a few companies and they all say they can get back deleted data but not overwritten data
    Is it fair to say that I have exhausted all my options.

Thanks
    I believe you have learned a very hard to swallow lesson. The built in app is VERY basic and has significant shortcomings with more than a very basic configuration. The 3rd party apps have some free alternatives, but to unlock the full features of these apps you have to look at the paid alternatives.

Let's put it this way, how much is the time it takes you to rebuild your OS from scratch worth? I can restore either of my OS's in less than 10 minutes, both and my data partition in less than 30 minutes. A lot depends on how Up To Date the Image is. I create new Images whenever things change on my System. That way my Image is very fresh and when I restore it's just as it was before the disaster.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    This discussion convinced me it was time to create a new Image.

Seagate3.jpg

As you can see my new Image included Office 2013 and was created today.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yep note taken. considering what i just went thru any suggestions on acronis vs macrium for a future purchase

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Without stating a preference, I feel a look at the respective support forums may give a clue:

http://support.macrium.com/

http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...ome-2012-forum

Note the types & frequency of problems, as well as the helpfulness of the advice, especially from "manufacturer" support.

Zig

Thanks
    I have not upgraded to Acronis 2012. I use 2010 and 2011 exclusively. I am not sure if the older versions are still available.

edit: This might be a 2010 download site.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-23 at 05:07.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted