Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Flash Player In Windows 8 RP

I have tried several times to install the latest version of Flash Player in Win 8 RP, but get the message that the active x control could not be registered.

If anyone can tell me how to resolve this problem I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    IE 10 already includes Flash. If you are using FF or Chrome then flash will need to be added.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-07-21)

Thanks
    Microsoft hasn't made a big thing about this, but their Windows 8 Flash Player is a modified version, available only through Microsoft Updates. The Flash Installers and stand-alones will crash with error messages about protected Registry keys if you try to use them in Windows 8. Found that out the hard way. Tried to do some Registry editing to resolve the issue, and ended up rolling back to a previous System Image.

In addition to locking down the Registry Keys, MS Flash Player for IE 10 uses a White List to determine only certain selected web sites where Metro IE 10 will use Flash Player to play content. Very restricted!

For use at more web sites, try getting Chrome into Dev Channel mode (link in this article), and then set it as Default. This will allow Chrome (but not IE) to be used as a Metro App. Only one browser at a time can be in Metro Mode, it seems.

This PC World article has all the details. Follow their link to Paul Thurrott's site for even more info.

No, Ted, Flash does not need to be added to Chrome. It's already there, and self-updates. As far as I know, there is no Firefox version for Metro under Windows 8.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-26 at 23:35.
    -- Bob Primak --

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

scaisson (2012-08-01)