Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling The Metro Screen In Win 8 RP

I read on another forum that to disable the Metro Screen you navigate to HKEY_ CURRENT_ USER\ Software\ Microsoft \Windows\Current Version\Explorer, right click RPEnabled, Modify and change the value from 1 to 0. However, RPEnabled is not listed in regedit on my computer. Has anyone else come across this?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I have heard of no way to disable the Metro UI. There are several ways to go through Metro UI quickly to the Desktop UI.

1) Ensure the Desktop tile is in the upper left hand position on the Metro UI. When you enter your password, instead of tapping the Enter button, hold it down for a couple of seconds. Holding the Enter button after entering your password activates whichever tile is the upper left hand tile. If this is desktop, then voila, you go to the desktop. If this is IE then IE opens.

2) After entering your password, tap Enter, then as soon as the Metro UI opens, tap Enter again. Which ever tile is in the upper left hand tiles will activate. If that's the Desktop tile then you will go to the Desktop UI.

3) Click the Desktop tile in the Metro UI

4) When on the Metro UI, click Win + D

5) Install Classic Shell. On the General Behavior tab, put a check mark in Skip Metro UI.

ClassicShell.jpg

OK, so there are 5 easy ways to go to the Desktop UI.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-07-21 at 15:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Roy, I just Goggled this and found an article that states this method NO LONGER works. The method they show seems more involved than the methods I show above.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, not for you this, for Roy. You indicated properly that when the Desktop icon is at the top-left of the Metro screen, an Enter does the trick. I do this all the time, I have nothing but the Desktop icon on my screen, I "removed" all other tiles. Back to Win-7 in use but a little quicker.
    I will be redoing this RP again today, to an empty new 500 G HD, I had been cruising on a small 80 G device. Outdoors duty beckons, first. JP.

Thanks
    There are so many ways to quickly get through Metro, I just do not understand what the fuss is all about, except some people do not feel completed unless they are able to complain. Oh well, you have a wonderful day JP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted