New Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for file-comparison programs

Are there any shareware/freeware or inexpensive programs that will compare 2 MS office files (such as excel or word) and provide output as to any differences between them?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    One option may be Beyond Compare. I use it mainly for code, but it can be used with Excel and Word too. You can use the trial, which used to be full blown version, that counts 30 days of actual use and not 30 calendar days.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    good info re the 30 days actual vs calendar days. Will note that pending any other suggestions from the lounge.
    thx

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    MS Word has its own document compare function. To a large extent, Excel workbook content can be compared via formulae and, if output as text files (formulae or results), can be compared by Word as for documents generally. No 3rd-party apps are required in such cases.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Beyond Compare

I've used BC for three years now, mainly for backup, but some of the other functions as well. It's a stable and useful program. For me, it's a lifesaver for backups.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for BC, been using it for years, incl just last week. Good simple interface, reliable output.

When I was researching some years ago, the other big app recommended by reliable sources was ExamDiff
    http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp
    Was good too back then, may be better now.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vdata 2.3

Download the freeware program Vdata 2.3 from http://www.filecluster.com/Security/...oad-VData.html. Compare files, folders, discs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this will do Word and Excel files but I find WinMerge is excellent for checking if files or folders are identical.