Thread: Mbr.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mbr.

Hello.
    When I left to the boonies, 3 weeks ago, I left my main machine with a problem, the MBR needs TLC.
    When I boot to W-8 RP, I have to have the install DVD in an optical device or it will lock up. So, I slip in the DVD and get to the desktop but before this, I get to see many offers to boot. I use W-8 on volume 2 to get going. There are also three other offers of W-8 and one of W-7 as I have a D:/ with a clone of my previous OS.
    Next, I will try and place a PRN-Scrn here to show all this but I have to shut down first. I will be back in a jiffy.
    I tried to go to a command prompt and typed in fixmbr, no joy. I was at a c:\ prompt.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, back with a Prn-Scn. It is a mess as you will see and I have no idea how this came about, this was three weeks ago, I have not been on the machine until today.

A mess.jpg

The challenge is on. JP.

Thanks
    Do you have all these OS's installed or is it just entries in the MBR? If just entries, I would first rename the entry that is real to something very distinct (you can rename it later) like Real Win 8 RP.

Then I would use EasyBCD to eliminate the false entries.

EasyBCDBootMenu.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I knew that you would spring up. Thanks. Give me a minute or two to find my CD and I will report back.
    The two lower tiles at the left are dummies, if I click on them, it can not find anything and states that the HD is locked thus can not open it. Rubbish !

Thanks
    I would eliminate the 2 dummy entries. Do you have Win 8 installed twice? Why? If so I would also delete one of those to free up the space. You can then also eliminate the MBR entry for that OS. The problem you might have is not knowing in which OS the MBR resides. If you eliminate one of the OS's, then you can eliminate the MBR entry with the exact same name.

You only need one copy of Win 8 on each HD, unless perhaps one is 32 Bit and one is 64 Bit and you are testing both. Seems a duplication of efforts to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good morning and thanks for your further interest in this. There is only one tile that would run W-8, the top one that mentions "volume 2". The others have shown up after running Repairs on the install DVD, I was hopping that Repairs would re-generate an MBR, it only added that tile.
    Going to try BCD now.
    Back from EasyBCD, it sure got it all fixed. I do now get rid of all the fluff that was added, like Babylon ?
    I am going back to EBCD to save the setup and by-pass the load screen, go right into W-8. Doable ???
    Thanks a mega, Ted. Have a great day.

Success ! I finally got it to boot directly into W-8. I was daring enough to delete the surplus loaders without first renaming them all and chanced on the right one. All this was a fine learning process again, Ted. Now my side of the effort now will be to pass this information down the line to my friends here that I IT for. Again, have a great day.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-07-22 at 09:28.

Thanks
    I am certainly glad I could once again fire up my brain cell to arrive at an answer that helped. Enjoy your Win 8 RP installation. I certainly do and plan to install Win 8 Pro on both our laptops when it arrives.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, quit bragging. I was lucky to be able with my 80 year old neurons to follow your neurons, thanks. Yep, I will be 80 in 3 days. Fun it is. JP.

Thanks
    Well happy birthday you auld phart! Now I feel young at 60!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Back on.

Well, Ted, back on after a new HD, 500 Gigs @ 7200.
    I must be getting competent in redoing W-8, this one took slightly >1 hour. No funny MBR either, all is cricket. I again loaded my Office 2K and it runs fine, this is all that I need, Word and Excel.
    You be good. Jean.

Thanks
    I have also found that Win 8 RP is the easiest install of all the Windows versions. I guess it depends on your H/W. Some have had problems many have not. Glad you are back up on a new HD.

This does confirm that Win 8 RP will install on a new HD. Now if Win 8 Pro will install on that same HD, that will confirm this as well. Can't wait until October 26th.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted