3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent server authentification error with Yahoo Mail and POP3 client

Description: Failed to login to server "pop.mail.yahoo.com" for your Yahoo - genegold99 accountSince Thursday afternoon, I've been getting intermittent server authentification errors when checking my Yahoo mail account with Mailwasher Pro and my email client (Sylpheed, POP3). By intermittent, I mean mail checks will return the error two or three times, then the next time(s) it connects fine. That means my settings are correct. I assumed it's Yahoo and reported it to them morning, but it continues. The Downrightnow.com status for the Yahoo Mail server over the past few days doesn't suggest the kind of disruption I'm seeing. I've attached an email client screenshot of the error and the Mailwasher Pro one reads: "Failed to log into pop.mail.yahoo.com for your Yahoo - xxx account."

Theoretically, I assume there are three possibilities:
    - Yahoo's servers
    - my ISP (Optimum cable)
    - my computer (Win 7x64 desktop)

I haven't called the ISP yet, but first am wondering if maybe the firewall (Comodo personal) and anything else could be causing this, or at least need adjustment to get around it. Any ideas? Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    This is clearly a server problem. There is nothing you can do, other than letting yahoo know about it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It turns out that Yahoo's policy now is they won't look at such server problems for Yahoo Mail subscribers, only for paid Mail Plus ones. If it continues much longer, I may subscribe, get them to fix it, then cancel. Of course, that will only work if the problem is general and not specific to the free service.