Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007: Bullets/Numbering, Word changes "After Text" in Para Settings

Hi All,

I have a bug that has bugged me for years.

I have templates that include bullet and numbering styles, though the phenomenon isn't necessarily limited to these styles.
    For almost all my styles, the After Text value in the Paragraph settings is 0. This is perfectly normal as usually you want the text to go to the end of the line, even if you have indentation at the beginning of the line.

Word, in its utmost generosity, frequently decides to increase After Text from 0 to some other value.

So I go back to the template, carefully redefine the After Text value, save the template, make sure everything is ok, and then continue with my work.

Until Word sees that I'm not looking, and it surreptitiously increases the After Text value again.

Do others experience this? Are you aware of a solution?

TIAs in bountiful abundance,

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you saying that the style definition is being altered without you explicitly making a change?

If so, I would suggest that your template styles are being re-imported every time you open the document. Check the attached template style definitions or turn off the setting to 'update styles on open'
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

daverap (2012-07-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And in addition to what Andrew suggests, be sure the "Automatically update" setting is turned OFF in the Modify Style dialog for the offending style(s). Note that styles inherit attributes, so you should also ensure that the setting is also turned off for the "Style based on" style as well; otherwise, a manual change to a style will end up altering the style definition to match, and the effect can cascade through any other styles based on it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EricFletcher For This Useful Post:

daverap (2012-07-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks both for taking the time to write.

Andrew:
    The styles are changed without me doing anything.
    It seems "Automatically update document styles" is set for most documents, so I could turn it off. But there are dozens of documents...
    However, there are other users who don't have the template and so it is possible that when they open a document, it inherits gunk from their system.
    But then again, how does the .dot file on my computer make changes to styles if I haven't made any changes to it or saved them?

Eric:
    Automatically Update is off in the style settings.

Thanks again and we'll see what happens.

Best, David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But you are doing something - opening the document.

The problem with styles set to automatically refresh is that the style definitions in that template may differ from what you defined in the document.

Check the template has the style definition the way you want - those styles are where the recurring changes are coming from (every time you open the document). Alternatively, turn off the setting to refresh the styles in each document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia