New Lounger
    Thanks

Killed MS Gadgets...now what

OK. I read, I believed, I killed Gadgets. I really liked the weather gadget sitting on my desktop. Anyone know of a similar replacement. I've tried weatherchannel.com & wunderground.com & weatherbug.com. Yuk. That little gadget told me temp, hi & lo, next 3 days hi & lo & forecast.....all on a tidy little screen. I miss my weather gadget (Getting stock ticker was too depressing)

Stacey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    noaa.gov (assuming you're in the U.S.) Type your city and state into the box and get the new forecast page. It's not a gadget, it's a web page that includes the doppler radar for the whole country - very cool.

The biggest problem is a tendency toget lost in all the neat stuff that's available.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    I haven't killed my gadgets, and don't intend to. I, too, have become rather fond of my weather gadget. I use drive images for backup, and additional backup for my financial data, so until gadgets become an actual problem for me personally, I'll keep them. I can quickly and easily eliminate the problem should it ever become real, but at this point I'm not worried.

I survived a house fire that destroyed two desktops and two laptops, without losing any of my applications or data. There is simply no substitute for drive images in multiple copies; nothing else even comes close.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slf View Post
    OK. I read, I believed, I killed Gadgets. I really liked the weather gadget sitting on my desktop. Anyone know of a similar replacement. I've tried weatherchannel.com & wunderground.com & weatherbug.com. Yuk. That little gadget told me temp, hi & lo, next 3 days hi & lo & forecast.....all on a tidy little screen. I miss my weather gadget (Getting stock ticker was too depressing)

Stacey
    I use Forecaster, sits in the tray - use Customise-> Show Icon & Notifications to keep it visible

On Win 7 I much prefer minimalist tray applications to the obtrusive gadgets I used on XP and Vista.

I think that's because, for me at least, Win7 is a 'no fuss' system - no BSODs, no nanny state (UAC is off) etc.

The gadgets distracted me away from the frustrations of XP & Vista, and prevented me from smashing the screen to smithereens.

nw
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2012-07-26 at 08:44.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I haven't killed my gadgets, and don't intend to. I, too, have become rather fond of my weather gadget. I use drive images for backup, and additional backup for my financial data, so until gadgets become an actual problem for me personally, I'll keep them. I can quickly and easily eliminate the problem should it ever become real, but at this point I'm not worried.

I survived a house fire that destroyed two desktops and two laptops, without losing any of my applications or data. There is simply no substitute for drive images in multiple copies; nothing else even comes close.
    I haven't killed mine either and like you don't intend to
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)