New Lounger
    Thanks

Vanishing master boot record

I installed XP SP2 plus SP3 and all updates to a laptop with an empty hard drive. Everything seemed to go well for a while.

I attempted to use the PLOP boot manager, but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. Ever since then, my master boot record (MBR) goes missing about once a week. I boot from the XP install disk, go to the Recovery Console, and run both FIXMBR and FIXBOOT and I'm back in business. FIXMBR reports that I have a non-standard or corrupt MBR.

Suspecting a possible virus, I ran deep scans with VIPRE and Malwarebytes, but they both turned up clean.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks
    I would try using CCleaner to clean out remnants of the PLOP Boot Manager. Generally I use CCleaner to clean up temporary files, but when I do an uninstall, I use the registry cleaner to clean out remnants in the registry. Be careful what you choose to delete with this powerful app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ted. I am very familiar (and comfortable) with CCleaner. In fact, I use it every night before shutting down to tidy up.

I would try your suggestion to use the registry cleaning feature, but now the laptop has decided to refuse to boot entirely, even to safe mode. I always get a BSOD with a STOP message of 0x00000145. Searching on that error says some application, likely recently installed, is preventing Windows from booting. I haven't installed anything recently, and I'm rather stymied as to how I can deal with this since I can't even get into safe mode. Definitely a challenging situation.

Worked fine yesterday--of course!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "Psych"

Are you trying to do a "Dual boot" thing? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not now. With the intentions of creating a dual boot (two XP partitions) system, I tried using the PLOP boot manager a few weeks ago, but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. I never did install another OS in a different partition.

I could easily see that if PLOP, an open source boot manager, installed some non-standard code, I would run into trouble. But running FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the XP Recovery Console should have cured that. And in fact, it does for several days, but then the MBR goes south again.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychBiller View Post
    Not now. With the intentions of creating a dual boot (two XP partitions) system, I tried using the PLOP boot manager a few weeks ago, but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. I never did install another OS in a different partition.
    Psych,
    Hello, I'm now Sexta Booting ( 6 OS's one PC ) not sure if that's the correct term..But... try downloading this free boot programEasyBCD Free This works great with anything Windows or Linux . If you plan on doing this... do it before you try it ( Install it on your "default" OS) Then on each one that you add.. Post back for more details.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, "Just Plain Fred", I may look into that boot manager once I rescue this laptop.

I can't even boot into safe mode with a command prompt without hitting the BSOD.

Thanks
    Sounds like you should stick the Installation DVD or Repair Disk in and go to the Repair Console. From there do a Repair of your OS. If this does not work, you might be in for a complete reinstall.

Might I also recommend looking into Imaging for your future needs. With an Image kept Up To Date, it only takes about 10 minutes to restore your OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy