Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looking For Way To Scan Files To .pdf Format

After having installed Windows 7 (64-bit), I discovered that HP no longer offers drivers form my Laserjet 3015. HP recommends to use the drivers that come with Windows.

The problem is that Windows Fax and Scan does not allow me to scan and save a document in .pdf format. (It only scans and saves in .bmp, .jpg, .png, and .tif formats.)

What would be a good way to get around this? I really need to scan and save in .pdf format.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ?? Why not save as .jpg, open i e.g., IrfanView,then use dopdf to "print as" a .pdf???

http://www.dopdf.com/

Zig

Thanks
    HP and updated drivers. These words are not normally used together. HP is terrible for supporting devices through new OS's.

HP does indeed offer both drivers and S/W for your multifunction Printer/scanner/copier.

Scanning is not a function of the drivers on a multifunction printer. The drivers allow the device to talk to the OS. The S/W supplied is what gives the copy/scan functionality. Check this site for both drivers and software for your printer. Win 7 drivers and S/W are available.

HP Multifunction.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, scanning can indeed be a function of the drivers for a multi-function hp printer. None of those drivers listed in your post are "print and scan" drivers, meaning they cover only the print functions, and leave the scan functions to Windows 7 generic drivers for hp.

On the other hand, I have an Officejet 4500 All-in-One, and hp's driver support does offer "print and scan" drivers for my printer. I can scan to .pdf.

The OP's only alternative may well be to use a conversion utility after scanning. Either that, or upgrade to a newer all-in-one.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a Droid or an iPhone you can get the camscanner app. Take a picture and save it as a pdf.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this cute writer I find it works well to print out to any folder of your choice in PDF format.

I think you can also set the scanner settings to scan to 'cute writer' which automatically produces a PDF copy. (not 100% sure though).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-07-28 at 12:12.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find the easiest way is to scan it with your phone. Google drive does a good job of converting these images to PDFs and they are a very small file size too! I followed this guide:

http://www.geektoogeek.com/store-pap...al-in-one-day/

Thanks
    Try Scannito -- http://www.scanitto.com/

It will likely work with your scanner and will scan to PDF.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have spent so many hours on testing pdf "printer" programs. I found the ones that produce the smallest output files do so by not including the fonts, and downgrading the pictures to lower resolution. Fine for a black and white order confirmation for example, but if you are trying to pdf anything more demanding, you are likely to find very poor quality.

I finally went with PDFill. The newest version no longer requires Java either thank goodness. Maybe you might want to look at it as it seems very good and has some wonderful tools with it.