Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

FUD: Is Windows 8 Bad?

Another article, one with an interesting view, IMHO, on the combination of Metro and desktop:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/intervie...8-is-bad-claim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not suprised to read something like this. Naysayers are looking for every negative morsel they can find.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Another article, one with an interesting view, IMHO, on the combination of Metro and desktop:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/intervie...8-is-bad-claim
    Yea, it's BAD. It is one BADA55 OS!

If you don't believe me, just ask Microsoft.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Those of us that actually love Win 8 are never going to convince those that hate it of it's virtues. That's too bad because many of the haters have not even tested it for long, or in some cases, have not even tried it. Many are just seeing these negative articles and latch onto them as evidence of what "everyone" thinks of it.

Well that just ain't so, there are many of us that love it. The referenced article has more positive than negative, and according to the author the negative was taken out of context.

Yes, indeed, the naysayers are looking for any negative morsel they can find. Let them. I just hope the people on the fence will actually use Win 8 for long enough to really test it before making up their minds.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS has the power to fix easily the problem in RTM. Just give people the choice of booting to Metro or Classic Desktop with start orb without going thru Metro. The people that hate Metro will probably never buy apps anyway. I like to boot straight to desktop to see if anything unusual loads or streaks by.
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe, very easy to do with Classic Shell 3.5.1. I have a Start Orb and my OS boots to Desktop with a brief glimpse of Metro (approx. 1 sec. or less)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ted, the trouble is that the number of new Win 8 users knowing about Classic Shell will be a very small %. Couple that and the ability of Microsoft to break or disable any after market tool "in the twitch of Steve Ballmer's pen", will leave a lot of people exposed.

I don't use Metro often, but as previously mentioned elsewhere, I decide to leave it in on my win8 installations because I need to see the OS as others will see it on day one.....and I have to say that view is a shock to the system for the uninitiated.

Back to the original article: I can't help but feeling that Gunnar Berger (the Gartner author) may have been leant on. When I read his original article on a different site yesterday, it was quite clear that he was full of praise for the new OS on touch enabled devices and just as clear he had some misgivings about it for standard mouse/keyboard machines. Even without the alleged out of context media hype, it was a pretty unequivocal comment. Now his article has been softened down. I think most people can make up their own minds, but retracting what was a pretty clear statement of opinion seems a bit odd.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    This Thread, if true, will remove this option as a stumbling block. Please take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted