5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Itís time to do some patch housecleaning

PATCH WATCH

Itís time to do some patch housecleaning

By Susan Bradley

Most computer security experts are probably baking in the Las Vegas sun this week and listening to esoteric presentations at the annual Black Hat security conference.
    Meanwhile, we get a bit of a summer break, too, from Windows updates ó so take some time to ponder the use of Windows gadgets, patch Firefox, and say goodbye to Thunderbird.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/it-s-time-to-do-some-patch -housecleaning/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-07-25 at 16:24.

Thanks

Thunderbird may not be dead

Just because Mozilla announced that the Foundation will no longer directly support further Thunderbird development does not mean that Thunderbird is now immediately dead. With Security patches promised, the current Thunderbird 14 will be around for awhile, and there are many, many Thunderbird users worldwide, including quite a few business users. With a developer community outside of Mozilla already in place, Thunderbird is actually in a better position to survive as an Open Source Project than was Eudora at the time that Eudora OSE was first introduced. Eudora OSE not only survived, but it prompted Qualcomm to resume development and sales of their paid Eudora client, which the company had abandoned. Clearly, popular email clients can and do take on a life of their own.

I'm thinking "Thunderbird OSE" will be around for a long, long time, and will keep on improving. I don't buy into the idea that web mail is sufficient for the needs of current and future email client users. There will always be a "market" for a free email client. If it isn't Thunderbird, it will be something else.

Is it true that Google's GMail now has available its own desktop client? If so, what's it like to use that? And does it only handle GMail, or can it handle other email accounts as well?

I've read this article and do not fully understand what it says.

Also, there seem to be several inside the browser "clients" with offline access to email messages. OperaMail is one of them, but it requires the Opera browser. And the GMail Client above seems to require either Chrome or Firefox with the Prism Extension.

Zimbra Desktop is also free, and can do much more than email. But it doesn't have a good way to import existing Thunderbird or Outlook email already stored on a computer. I don't like PC World's workarounds from this article at all.

So there seem to be additional approaches to desktop access to email.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-26 at 15:33.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have relayed that thought in the article. I'm with you, I think there's still a need for a robust on premise email client. Looks like a potential article topic for the future.

Thanks
    Susan Bradley:

You write, "Google is the first and only search engine to use HTTPS by default with Firefox, but Mozilla plans to add the feature to other search engines down the road."

Which I'm happy to presume is correct, and that I'm confused, not for the first time.

However, I use Firefox 14.0.1 and my default search engine is Ixquick HTTPS. I've been quite happy with it.

Information is at https://www.ixquick.com/eng/download...ck-plugin.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I should have relayed that thought in the article. I'm with you, I think there's still a need for a robust on premise email client. Looks like a potential article topic for the future.
    Let's not forget that old standby Pegasus Mail and its sister program, Mercury Mail.

The Pegasus client is still being developed and lives very happily on a Flash Drive, only requiring temporary files to be placed onto the host computer while P-Mail is in use. With effort, P-Mail can import Eudora and Thunderbird .mbx or .eml exports. I found some of these folders copied and converted nicely from Eudora OSE into Pegasus Mail, but other folders had issues and there were unexplained fragments in some converted folders. Fortunately, this process was Import Once, Use Many Times for me. The whole Pegasus Mail program can be copied to any other user or computer from its original location, with only minor adjustments for drive letters, and to put the program's launcher into "Roaming Mode". (I made multiple shortcuts with different parameters to deal with this issue.)

Overall, P-Mail looks like a good and well-supported client for my personal use, if Thunderbird and Eudora OSE will not be continued. I am running P-Mail exclusively in Windows 8 RP now. And it still works perfectly off a Flash Drive on my Windows XP laptop. The specs say any computer running Windows 98 or newer can use Pegasus Mail. Since Pegasus Mail is so portable, could it be that in the near future, there will be a Metro App version? I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cumulative Patch Watch

As a long time subscriber and believer in Patch Watch - I wonder if there is a cumulative list of all Win7 patches, including the old ones which drop off your monthly list??
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpollock For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2013-01-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ms. Bradley:

First and foremost: Thank you very much for your Patch Watch column. I don't know of any other source for such information. (Admittedly, I haven't looked, given the usefulness of your column.)

Second: Bobpremak (the first response in this thread) points out that Thunderbird may not be dead, and he makes a good case for that. Here's hoping he is right.

But there is another alternative: Mozilla-SeaMonkey, at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/, is a combination "Web-browser, advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editor." (Quoted from the SeaMonkey website.)

As I am sure you know (but others may have forgotten or never known), SeaMonkey is a descendant of the Mozilla Suite, which in turn was a descendant of Netscape Communicator, which was a descendant of the original Netscape, which was a rewrite by Mark Andreesen and his team of their earlier Mosaic browser, which they wrote while graduate? students at the University of Illinois. My recollection is that they rewrote Mosaic because the U of I wouldn't grant them ownership rights (or at least not as much as they quite reasonably would have thought they deserved), and rewriting apparently was easier than dealing with a patent and/or copyright lawsuit.

I use Internet Explorer only for updates. For everything else I use SeaMonkey, just as I used each of its predecessors (not counting Mosaic).
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-08-18 at 19:23.