5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Better system security: Patch it or remove it

PATCH WATCH BONUS

Better system security: Patch it or remove it

By Susan Bradley

A recent phishing attempt is a reminder that the bad guys never stop trying to gain access to our PCs and accounts.
    Take some time for a close look at your Windows machines to ensure they're as patched as they could and should be.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/better-system-security-patch-it-or-remove-it/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great ideas to remove old Java versions, been doing that for years because new versions are supposed to be downversion compatible. But what about MSXML? Most of these look like patches on patches....

Also what about Visual C++ redistributables? I must have at least 10 of those on my system.  Is it safe to remove old versions of those too, or are they not always compatible? Id hope that developers dont write to specific versions of these, but if I delete the old ones, will I break something? 

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
    Great ideas to remove old Java versions, been doing that for years because new versions are supposed to be downversion compatible. But what about MSXML? Most of these look like patches on patches....
    No: MSXML versions.

Also what about Visual C++ redistributables? I must have at least 10 of those on my system.  Is it safe to remove old versions of those too, or are they not always compatible?
    No: Multiple Visual C++ redistributables needed?

Id hope that developers dont write to specific versions of these, but if I delete the old ones, will I break something? 
    Probably.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip re Wepawet. One thought struck me though. If a URL sent to you is unique to you as a recipient then will using Wepawet identify you to the scammer as a real email address and so expose you to more spam?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njl100 View Post
    Thanks for the tip re Wepawet. One thought struck me though. If a URL sent to you is unique to you as a recipient then will using Wepawet identify you to the scammer as a real email address and so expose you to more spam?
    Only if the good guys are in league with the bad guys (which seems unlikely). But Wepawet comes with no guarantees:

Notice in particular that while we do our best to make Wepawet accurate, there may be errors in the results that it provides: for example, a benign site may be flagged as malicious, and a malicious resource may be considered benign. Use your judgment when acting on the results of this service. About Wepawet

Bruce