Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Foiled by a screw!

Hello All,

Well my attempt at replacing the HD in my laptop with an SSD was foiled by a screw!
    I don't know who Dell hires to put these things in but those screws must have been tightened by Arnold himself. I managed to get 3 of the 4 out but that last one refused to budge and now the head is demolished so it will never come out guess I'll just ride it till it drops.

I also purchased Paragon Hard Drive 12 Suite to prep for this and it gave me problems also. The laptop is dual booted, 2 copies of Win 7 HP 64b one with Office 2010 Pro the other with Office 2003 Pro. Paragon kept showing the 2003 partition as INVALID and wouldn't let me do any operations on it at all except delete it! Of course it would still boot into either copy of the OS w/o a problem! Sure glad I only paid $39.95 for the suite which doesn't do a very basic thing! YMMV.

On the positive side I had used Macrium Reflect to Image the entire drive before I did a bunch of resizing and moving of partitions with both Partition Wizard and Paragon. When I couldn't get the screw out I loaded up the Reflect Win PE Boot media ran a restore and everything is back as it was when I started. Aren't you proud of me Ted & Fred?

So about a total of 14 hours shot and I still have a brand spankin' new Crucial M4 128 Gb SSD to figure out what to do with....

Moral of the story...
    1. See if you can get the part out before you buy a new one.
    2. Even if you do the research doesn't mean the software will do what you want on "your" system.
    3. Image, Image, Image...

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Some liquid wrench and a bit of elbow grease might do the trick.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-07-25 at 19:39.

Thanks
    CLiNT,

Thanks for the idea. However, I don't know if I want to be messing in there with slippery oil and a screw driver. I'm truly a bit of a klutz when it comes to fine motor skills and I'd probably do like I did in our motor home when reinstalling a screen on the overhead fan. The screw driver slipped and of course tore a big hole in the screen. Luckily, in that case, Fantastic Vent is one of those companies who you can't say enough good things about. I called to order a new screen and told them what had happened. They shipped me a new one at absolutely no cost! I repeated to the rep. that it was entirely my fault but he insisted there would be no charge. OK a show of hands....How many of you think Dell would say that if the screw driver slipped inside my laptop? And the silence was deafening.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,
    Hello... I can offer a suggestion to the problem... The original company was called "Vice Grip" ...Most likely now made by others ...However to the point ...They make a Vice Grip with "Needle Nose" jaws ... Adjust that on the head (or whats left of it) and you will be able to remove the recalcitrant screw...Done this many times. I'll see if i can find a picture for you, and post back.... Regards Fred

PS: This was from SEARS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-25 at 20:11.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL

Fortunately I didn't spend 14 hours on this escapade.

Last week I acquired a motherboard with an AMD 3500+ processor with dual channel RAM which would have been a heck of a lot faster then my current 2800+ Sempron.

Same motherboard manufacturer (Asrock) so didn't expect too many problems. But would Windows 7 start, not a cat in hell's chance!

I eventually grabbed my W7 installation disk and wiped my W8DP partition to create a new W7 installation and would that start, would it heck!

I gave up at this point and put my old motherboard back in. Once booted it continued with the new installation of W7 and now I have 2 W7 installations (I can sort that)

Grrr, I can see this new motherboard and I am spitting feathers at it!

Thanks
    I would suggest your only solution was to drill the screw out. However, before reaching for your hammer drill, consider the possible effects of the drill on the disk heads...
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    The old Park Winchester command might be useful here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    CLiNT,

Thanks for the idea. However, I don't know if I want to be messing in there with slippery oil and a screw driver. I'm truly a bit of a klutz when it comes to fine motor skills and I'd probably do like I did in our motor home when reinstalling a screen on the overhead fan. The screw driver slipped and of course tore a big hole in the screen. Luckily, in that case, Fantastic Vent is one of those companies who you can't say enough good things about. I called to order a new screen and told them what had happened. They shipped me a new one at absolutely no cost! I repeated to the rep. that it was entirely my fault but he insisted there would be no charge. OK a show of hands....How many of you think Dell would say that if the screw driver slipped inside my laptop? And the silence was deafening.

I'd let the liquid wrench dry a bit, then get your wife to do it
    LOL

Thanks
    You could use a screw extractor to remove the damaged screw. Here's a set from sears:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0&%20Setsmv=rr

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,

I gave my brother a set of these for Christmas a couple of years ago and we spent the last 2.5 months in the RV only 2.5 miles from him. Of course we're now back in S.C. 11 Hrs. away grrrrrr..........

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, What's the matter with my post #4 Idea? used these many time to do the same type of thing! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred,

May work fine but I don't have one. I'll look next time I get near a hardware store.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    JPF, there probably isn't enough of the screw head above the mounting surface to get a grip on with vise grips. In a lot of cases, hard disk mounting screws are counter sunk.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry,
    True ...but as i have no idea what RG has left on the screws ...If they are like the ones that i have have (had ) a round disk like shoulder ...should present no problem to remove... Also i have even "Squished" the oval head type (with these pliers) so they ended up with flat spots on the screw... Then could be turned out ... If he wasn't so far from me i would do it for him ...one way or the other....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think he really has much issue with the disk heads since he is trying to replace the drive with an SSD.. find a friend with a drill press and some high speed bits and drill out the offending screw, take it slow and easy ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast