New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer (win7) very slow loading photo thumbnails.

I use windows explorer to view my large photo files (photos of my family - children, grandchildren etc). A typical photo file is 752 images 9.9GB. Windows explorer loads my thumbnails very slow and only page by page as I advance through the pages. I can open the file and let it sit and windows explorer will only load the photo thumbnails for the page displayed.
    My system is one year old - it is a Dell Xps8300 - 16GB ram - Intel i7-2600 cpu - 3.40ghz. Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

I have tried explorer2 also. It is also slow.

Are there any settings that I can change to speed up the loading of the thumbnails and that would load all thumbnails not just the ones on the viewed page?

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    While this may not help you but I have have found that the larger the thumbnail view the longer it takes to load the thumbnails..

I use Large Thumbnails and they seem to load faster then using the larger sizes.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Do you have the thumbnails sorted by date?

Thanks
    That is fairly standard. Your thumbnails are sharing resources with everything else. The speed with which these thumbnails are shown is proportional to the available resources (amount of Ram, CPU speed) I suspect your resources might be somewhat limited.

What is the bitness of your system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit? A 32 Bit OS is limited to about 3.5 Gb Ram, no matter how much Ram is installed.

I have a 64 Bit system with 8 Gb Ram and my thumbnails load similarly to yours as I scroll through the numerous pages of photos. This is somewhat dependent on what else I am doing (multi-tasking) as even though I have quite a few resources, these resources need to be shared with everything I'm doing at that moment.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks: My experience is the same large loads faster than the largest.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My file name has a sequence number for the order in which I want the pictures to appear.

My system is 64bit.

When I am working on pictures, I am not doing anything else on the computer.

Maybe I should split the files into smaller batches?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Maybe making sub folders and group the pics in them so there isn't so many in one folder..

Also, you can try Fast stone image viewer and browse to the folders with that..
    It's free..

I use it to show RAW images..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"