Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Windows 8 - Simplifying printing

The latest building Windows 8 blog post - Simplifying printing in Windows 8.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, 517.
    Thanks for a very informative text on printing in W-8, to come ! At the moment, I succeeded in getting my HP 6L to work all the time. It still amazes me to see this old machine still recognized by W-8, I went to MS Download and used their driver. When I hit the OK button, instantly, I hear the machine start printing.
    What is the new driver going to offer me for that machine ?
    That URL has a lot to read. JP.

Thanks
    The only peripheral I have had any trouble with in Windows 8 RP is my Epson PX720WD AiO (connected wirelessly only to my network). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Epson are no help, perhaps understandably, since the OS is not released, but nevertheless exasperating. Had a beauty this morning which has completely puzzled me. In Windows 8 I issued three print instructions, none of which produced a squeak out of the printer. 'See what's printing' showed nothing in the queue. Re-started the computer in Windows 7 Ultimate, which is dual-booted, and the Epson printer immediately started printing the three documents I wanted. I have seen some miraculous things in my 50 years working with computers, but this takes some beating!

Thanks
    Win 8 did not have drivers for my Canon Pixma MP620, but I easily loaded the driver and software necessary to use all the functions in this multifunction printer. I chose the Win 7 drivers and software. Worked very nicely for me. It appears that with Win 8 RP some printer models work very well from each manufacturer, some do not. I have heard of many quite old printers that lost functionality with Win 7 that seem to work well in Win 8 RP and some newer printers that are having problems and do need Win 8 specific drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks

Windows 8 - Simplifying printing.

Aye, Ted, but how do three print instructions issued in my Win 8 system and not registered in the print queue in that system get to my Win 7 system on another drive in the same machine, so that when I reboot in Win 7 the printer immediately prints all three documents, without me issuing any more print instructions? They must have been 'hovering about' in the printer's memory and got reactivated when Win 7 kicked in.

I have installed the latest Win 7 drivers and software in Win 8 for my Epson. Win 7 drivers work fine with my Samsung laser. Had a job getting Epson Scan to work and Easy Photo Print and the latter has stopped working again. However, I'm not too bothered, just curious, and presume that this will get sorted out over the next few months.

Apart from this Win 8 is great for me.

Thanks
    I was able to share a printer attached to my 32 bit Windows 7 desktop from my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop but I can't make it work on the same laptop when I installed 64 bit Windows 8 RP. This is the only thing I wasn't able to make work with Windows 8. I've tried it within and without Homegroup. I can see the printer but it can't find a suitable driver. I downloaded the 64 bit driver to the laptop and pointed Add printer to it but it says can't connect.

Jerry

Thanks
    It seems some of the worst problems encountered are with drivers. Fortunately many of the graphics driver problems have been fixed with Win 8 specific drivers issued. Hopefully this will happen with Printers and Audio devices as well.

AC, the only thing I can think of in your case is the printer memory had the 3 files stored in internal memory, and just needed instructions on how to print those files which it got from Win 7. I have heard of files recovered from printer memories, and we always see on TV (I believe EVERYTHING I see on TV, don't you??? LOL) where evidence is retrieved from printer memory.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy