2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adaptec GoBack software on Win 98

I know this doesn't exactly involve Windows 98 but I didn't know where to go. One of the doctors that I work for was having problems with his laptop, I did my thing and all was fine. I was in the process of going through a series of reboots to make sure there weren't anymore problems, then on the like 6th reboot the system got stuck at the GoBack splash screen. I'm hoping somone here has had experience with this. Is there a way to bypass this GoBack screen? Cause I can't boot to anything because GoBack starts up before the POST process even gets started. Anyone have any secrets, like a key to press to bypass it? Thanks to anyone that can help! I'm praying that I don't have to tell him that his laptop is inoperable.
    Thanks,
    Don

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adaptec GoBack software on Win 98

GoBack starts before POST is completed?? I didn't know that was even possible.

What I would suggest trying is repeatedly poking the F8 key at boot to get the boot menu, and selecting Safe Mode. See if you can remove GoBack. Barring that you can also hold the shift key down while it boots and skip the startup items that may be causing problems.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Mark.
    I'm sorry I was wrong about Goback starting before POST. But to actually change your bootup options you need to get into the GoBack bootup screen and this is where it is freezing up on me. I have finally found the answer on Adaptec's site. I need to press ctrl+alt+G between POST and the GoBack screen to disable the GoBack utility. Thanks again for taking the time.
    Don

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I am glad that you found the answer. And I am also glad that you shared your findings, because now I have another treat in my bag o' tricks.

Cheers,
    -Mark