3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying TV shows to DVD

Several years ago I bought a Magnavox DVD recorder. It also had a hard drive in it. With this device I could record programs (mostly movies) from my cable box onto the HDD and then copy them to DVD.

A few weeks ago the unit failed and I don't think it is going to be repairable. I am pretty sure I can use a "video capture card" or external device to get composite video and audio into a PC and use it to do the copying - not as convenient but the end result should be the same.

Lounge members who do this - give me your thoughts, please.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Assume the Magnavox hard drive is still working...
    Open up Magnavox. Remove hard drive. Note if it is IDE drive or SATA drive. SATA data connector is a lot smaller than IDE data connector. If in doubt, bring the hard drive with you while purchasing ...
    Purchase an USB hard drive enclosure that fits your hard drive (generally 2 sizes to choose). It is about $20-$60. If you know hard drive stuffs, you can purchase the USB drive enclosure from Amazon.com and save. More economical still, you can buy a ($20) USB to IDE/SATA adapter. Make sure power supply comes with it. It connects to the bare drive and converts it to USB drive. But then the drive is bare. Make sure put it atop a book, for example. On a metal surface the bottom electronics could potentially be shorted out.

Thanks
    I use a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder and have no trouble recording to DVD-R & DVD-RW providing I format the disc first then finalize it when done. It can then be played on another DVD player or my PC.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also open the Magnavox, replace the defective DVD writer with a new bare one. I did that and it works fine to record from internal hard drive to DVDR/RW discs.
    Make sure to replace with identical data connector type (SATA or IDE). Buy the short body version or similar size DVD bare
    writer. In my case, I needed to discard the enclosure box of the DVD writer, and applied glue instead of screw to secure it. Yes, DVD writer guts were exposed! Worked on two different brands of hdd-DVDRW recorders.

BTW, you may need to check the drawer front lid plate. Buy similar size bare DVD drive. Replace the lid plate with your old one. In some cases, you may have to remove the drawer lid plate and not replace it, so that it can open and close properly. Looks ugly but works.

Technology leaps forward. No longer copy to DVD. I use USB drive and stand alone media player instead.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got a phone call from the repair shop where I took the unit. The tech traced the problem to a shorted 5-volt line on a surface mount IC. Relieving the short brought the unit back to life although I can no longer use the composite output and the channel scan does not appear to pick up digital channels. Former not a problem as I use the HDMI output and latter also not serious as I use a cable box.

I don't believe anyone makes this type of device anymore. There probably isn't enough demand.