New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Unable to network between two Windows 7 laptops

I have been using a Sony VAIO running Win7 Pro 32-bit for the last 2 years joined to the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. In this workgroup I can see my wife's Win7 Home laptop, my NAS device, my MacBook and I can see my new Dell Latitude that is running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

When I try to access my 2 Win7 Pro computers via "NETWORK" I receive errors that they are not reachable. I cannot ping either Win7 computer but I can ping the MacBook from either . The firewall is completely disabled on both laptops. Both computers are in the "Home" zone.

When I try to use the Homegroup feature, neither computer sees the other Homegroup.

I can easily access the NAS from from systems so, for now, I have to transfer files to the NAS and download on either computer.

I have also turned off all the Homegroup options and set the settings to be traditional network settings.

If I try to access the computers using \\computer-name\ or \\10.0.1.x\ Windows tells me it cannot find the computers.

My instinct tells me that there is some firewall or such blocking each computer from seeing the other but I do not have any other firewall on the computers, to my knowledge.

The VAIO is running plain Win7 from Microsoft and the Dell is running OEM Win7 from Dell. There seems to be few Dell utilities on it (as compared to a home computer).

Any thoughts about what might be causing this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I suppose you have enabled file sharing in each computer?
    The windows firewall is likely running in both computers. Have you tried disabling it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows firewall is disabled on both and file sharing is enabled. I have shared one folder on each system as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried using the same account, with the same password, on both computers?