Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for 4 port USB hub?

I am looking for a "rock solid" 4 port (or more) USB hub.

For HP dv6 laptop, Windows 7 64 bit, if that makes a difference. It has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

I've tried 3 different ports (all powered) and have had a problem with all of them, the computer "forgetting" that that hub is there and I lose use of the devices attached to the hub. It especially happens when I put the computer to sleep.

This is how I want to use the hub. I have a printer, external hard drive, modem, wireless mouse and keyboard that I want to attach to the hub. Then when I want to take the laptop to another location, I want to disconnect just the hub (doing whatever ejects I need to before removing) and then when I return I don't have to reconnect all those devices.

Ideally I'd like to disconnect the hub (before or after putting it to sleep), put the laptop to sleep, move it, then on returning, connect the hub and wake up the computer with all USB devices available.

What I have been doing is removing all the devices with "safely disconnect the applicable devices", shutting down the computer, removing the hub, and moving the laptop to another location. When I return, I reconnect the hub and therefore all the devices, and turn on the computer. Sometimes it works, other times the USB Device is Not Recognized for all attached devices.

At different times, while the computer is running, the devices connected are no longer recognized and I have to disconnect all, reconnect the hub then the devices one at a time.

Hope I've explained the situation well enough. I'll go for either USB 2 or 3 hub, even though I currently have no USB 3 devices.

Doug

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    What you describe is not uncommon with external USB hubs. I have a cheap 7 port powered hub which is fine as long as I don't move it about - I have taped it to the desk. This survives the laptop sleeping - I never shut it down, just reboot occasionally.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best to use a self powered USB hub that remains powered after disconnect from computer. If your hub is not self powered maybe the load on the USB port is too much when restarting.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to what has already been said, if you plug more than one USB 3 device in it must me powered to provide full pass rate to the bus. Powered from the USB socket or another socket as some seem to do will not provide enough power.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem it would shut off my USB dial up modem on my hub:

Windows 7 is “green” and will automatically “suspend” devices to save power. When you go into hibernation mode your PC will shut down, but when it boots up again it can happen that your device will stop working because it remains turned off. Windows still wants to save power!
    To fix it, you will have to tell your PC that Windows 7 may not turn off your device, respectively your USB hub, which provides the power.
    1. Open op the device manager.
    2. Uncollapse “Universal Serial Bus controllers” (USB Controller)
    3. For every USB Root Hub and Generic USB Hub, right-click on it and click on “Properties”.

• Go to the tab “Power Management
    • Uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

You might also have to do a Registry tweak if that alone doesn't fix it: Enable “DisableSelectiveSuspend” see info here:

http://windows7themes.net/mouse-not-...bernation.html
    Last edited by aloarjr810; 2012-07-28 at 07:41.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've made the changes to the Power Management settings to everything connected to the hub and to the hub itself.

All the hubs I have supply their own power through their own power supply to lack of power shouldn't be the problem. I'll see if this works. Sounds logical that it would.

Lounger
    Thanks
    So far, so good! I'll keep monitoring as I change states with the hub attached.