New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup of Windows Live contacts and e-mails

Can someone direct me to a 'simple' way to copy my current contacts list and my stored emails from Windows Live to separate storage media. I use Win7 HE, 64bit. Thanks.
    Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    You can simply export the contacts to a csv file.
    As far email messages, you can't. You can, however, install an email client, such as Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird and get a copy of the emails in your computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use "Static Backup" which is now called "Windows Live Mail Backup 8" and can be found at this link:
    http://www.staticbackup.com/winlivemail-backup8.php

The only drawback, if it is one, is that in Windows 7 it backs up your "users -> (User Name) -> Contacts folder instead of the actual contacts list in WLM. This means that you have to keep the contacts folder up-to-date along with the WLM contacts. (You can import the User-contacts folder directly into WLM.).

Thanks
    I do not know the original location (my data has been moved to a separate drive) but if you find the Windows Live Mail folder, I just make a copy of this folder. Done! Put the BU (I rename the back up Windows Live Mail BU, very original I know) in a safe place, then periodically update it again and replace the original Windows Live Mail BU with the newly created one.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Contacts [only] backup can now be easily done online: https://col002.mail.live.com/mail/contacts.mvc . Log in if you're not already, and in the Manage menu at the top (if you can't see it use a smaller browser font) select Export. Contacts are exported to a .csv file.

If you use this method, after making any offline changes to your contacts in Windows Live Mail you'd want to use the program online a while before backup, so it could sync with your contacts list on the Windows Live server.

In Windows Live Mail, go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Maintenance->Store Folder. The displayed folder pathname is where all Windows Live Mail files, including the .eml individual e-mail files, are stored. You can back it up with any backup program you like.
    Last edited by bigbadsteve; 2012-08-21 at 17:40.