New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 - Extraneous Styles based on Direct Formatting

I am attempting to clean out extraneous styles Word is creating for me, based on direct format. I have turned off 'Keep track of formatting'. This does not seem to resolve my issue. Any other settings that may be contributing to Word failing to read my mind?

Maybe under AutoFormat or AutoFormat As You Type?

I am trying to locate clear descriptions of these options. I must not be looking hard enough!

Many thanks!
    --Vicki

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They aren't styles. Word is just showing the direct formatting applied to a style. If you don't want to see that, go to style pane options and clear the boxes before paragraph level formatting, font formatting, and bullet and numbering formatting. The direct formatting will remain, but you won't see it in the styles list.

If you want to get rid of all direct formatting, select the whole document and press Ctrl+spacebar to clear Font (aka character) formatting—and, unfortunately, character styles—and then press Ctrl+q to clear paragraph level formatting. You could do this for a particular style by selecting all instances before pressing Ctrl+spacebar and Ctrl+q.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-07-28 at 14:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

vlovelace (2012-07-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vlovelace View Post
    I am trying to locate clear descriptions of these options. I must not be looking hard enough!

Many thanks!
    --Vicki
    This had me going for a while, too. At the bottom of the Styles Pane, click Options... then uncheck the boxes illustrated below. This is in addition to what you've already done. (Thanks, HansV!)

Best, Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vlovelace View Post
    I am attempting to clean out extraneous styles Word is creating for me, based on direct format. ...

Maybe under AutoFormat or AutoFormat As You Type?

Generally AutoFormat features have no effect on styles or their display. They are applied only when you invoke the AutoFormat command which is difficult to do in Word 2010.

AutoFormat as you type has no effect on the styles list. It may apply direct formatting if you choose to allow some of the last two groups of options. See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...at_as_You_Type for a look at these options and how to get to them.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to All!!!