5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page numbering two columns per page

I am using Microsoft word and have set up two columns per page. I would like to number the first page page on the left as 1 at the bottom and the page on the right as 2, the next page on the left to be 3 and the one on the right to be 4 etc

It would be appreciated if someone could advise me on how to set this up

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What version of Word are you using?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam

I am using Word 2007

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK. The way I read your first post, the number of columns doesn't matter (because we can't have more than one column a header or footer—I'm not talking about table columns, here).

Double click in the footer area. In the header & Footer Tools tab, put a check in the box before different odd & even pages.

When the footer is empty:
    With the cursor in an odd page footer, click the page number icon > bottom of page and choose a format that shows the number on the right. Do the same for the even page footer, but choose a format with the number on the left.

When the footer already has text you want to keep:
    With the cursor in an odd page footer, put the cursor where you want the number to appear (you may need to tab to the position), click the page number icon > current position, and choose a format that shows the number on the right. Do the same for the even page footer, but choose a format with the number on the left.

And of course, if you're not interested in the fancy designs Word offers, you could use the shortcut (Alt+Shft+p) to insert a plain page number field where you want it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Abmalcom (2014-04-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam

Thanks for the reply. I am battling to sort out the page number as per your reply and have attached sample data. It would be appreciated if you can assist me

Regards

Howard
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I just noticed that you want page 1 to be a left hand page. You might be able to do that in Word through the interface (= the buttons and menus it presents), but not without a lot of work, such as section breaks on each page and the manual moving of text around the breaks, or, perhaps, not without the use of a macro.

Word sets things up according to book publishing practice, which means odd numbered pages are right hand pages. So you can't use the different odd & even pages feature if you want page 1 to be a left hand page.

If you can allow page 1 to be a right hand page, my instructions will help you.

Pam

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Howard,

It's not clear to me whether you want the columns numbered, or just a differrent odd/even numbering layout. The attached document shows both.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Really cool, Paul. I too often forget about calculated page numbers.

HowardC, Paul's tip works well, but there's a downside: the TOC does not, in current Word versions, use calculated page numbers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the help. Each column will have a page number for eg the first col on the left will be 1 and the col on the right 2, the next col on the left 3, col on the right 4 etc

The page numbers which you set up for me at the top of the page, 1 on the left and 2 on the right is what I am looking for.

It would be appreciated if you will explain to me how to go about achieving this

Cheers,

Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Howard,

Press Alt-F9 and all will be revealed. Basically, it's just a pair of simple formula fields that use the 'real' page number as their input. You can simply copy & paste them into your own document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the all the help and being patient. Its pretty easy when one knows what to do. This is a really cool feature

Cheers,

Howard

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    Really cool, Paul. I too often forget about calculated page numbers.

HowardC, Paul's tip works well, but there's a downside: the TOC does not, in current Word versions, use calculated page numbers.

I agree with Pam, Paul's (Macropod's) calculated page numbers are a brilliant method for numbering the columns as pages - a method that will save me some headaches for lesson documents that I create for my classes. However, I really need a means for producing TOCs that will use the calculated page numbers. Is anyone aware of a workaround or add-on that will enable Word (including version 2003) to read the calculated numbers when it's building a TOC?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Pam already noted, TOCs don't work with calculated page #s - they reflect the real page #s. The only 'workaround' I regard as practical is to use a single column per page with a two-pages-per-sheet printout.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]