Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video-card brand names

Without plowing thru the marketing hype, what is the difference between ATI Diamond and ATI XFX cards. They have the same model numbers but ....

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "MQG"

Hello... As there are so many video cards you're most likely going to have to "plow thru the hype" yourself ..I'm doubtful that anyone could answer that question without doing some (a boat load) internet research...Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-30 at 07:50.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The main difference is that they are two different brands that both make ATI (now officially AMD/ATI) video/graphics cards.

There is a wide range of basic/standard models covering a price range from, say, $40 to $600. The standard models should be nearly identical across all brands.

Also, a manufacturer may offer special "tweaked" versions of a standard model. The tweaks might involve overclocking for higher performance or a fancier cooling fan, or both. They will charge extra for the tweaked version.

Diamond and XFX are both well known brands. Since their competing models are very similar it's worth comparing price (including mail-in rebates) and length of warranty. Also, compare user reviews at websites like newegg.com to get some idea of reliability and customer service if needed.

You haven't said what your main purpose or reason is for choosing a new video/graphics card. If it's for email, internet, casual games or HDTV and HD-quality video then you can certainly get by with a $50 or $60 card. If you want to do gaming with high quality graphics or heavy duty video editing then you need a lot more graphics power which will cost in the region of $150 and up.

Most higher priced cards also require a substantial power supply (say, 500 watts or more) and better airflow/cooling in the computer case (add a couple more air intake fans at front or side of case for $7 to $12 each).

If you go that route you will get in-game graphics detail that will blow away a Playstation 3 and X-Box 360. Also, PC game prices tend to drop signifcantly around 6 to 12 months after they are released, so last year's hot $59.99 game becomes a more reasonable $29.99 or less.

Good hunting !!

Thanks
    I like to avoid the marketing hype too, but the only way to do that is by comparing their respective specifications in detail and also getting
    a look at how they perform, if your lucky enough to find a site that will put them through their paces.

Sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct will allow you to get some information on their specs in a layout that may be esthetically pleasing and easy to compare
    between multiple items. You can also compare warranty information, which can be a deciding factor in itself when it comes to hardware with similar specs.
    With sites like Newegg you can also get buyer reviews, although these reviews can be subjective, they may give you a sense of what potential issues
    people are having with a particular make.

Then you will have other sites like HardOCP that run the hardware to the wall and test all aspects of performance relative to cost & type of usage.
    These sites may be geared toward the enthusiast crowd (gamers and overclockers) and most of the hardware tested will be higher end products and those tailored specifically to the above mentioned users.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

Thanks all. I do understand the gamers v everyone else and if it were not for gamers we'd not get a lot of good information. I classify myself as a gamer of sorts but have never had the need for a video card over $150. However, I don't begrudge those tbose who get the higher priced ones and totally enjoy the experience.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MQG1023 View Post
    Thanks all. I do understand the gamers v everyone else and if it were not for gamers we'd not get a lot of good information. I classify myself as a gamer of sorts but have never had the need for a video card over $150. However, I don't begrudge those tbose who get the higher priced ones and totally enjoy the experience.
    Right now you can get a Radeon 6850 or an nVidia GTX 560 graphics card for around $135 after a mail-in rebate. These cards are both pretty darn good for gaming and other tasks. There are plenty of in-depth reviews available online. Remember that reviewers will be rating it's value based on performance and on what the selling price was at the time the review was written, so take that into account.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Reliability and warranty

Sapphire also makes Radeon video cards. The differences between the various brands using the ATI Radeon GPUs is small, but can be significant in performance-oriented situations. The other factor is reliability. I always check the Newegg ratings to see if a particular card has a lot more 1-egg or 2-egg ratings (and also read the reviews to see why--sometimes people are just complaining about shipping or not getting a rebate, rather than commenting on the hardware itself). A third factor is warranty, which is why my last 3 video cards have been XFX, as they come with a lifetime warranty.

FYI, I just bought an XFX 6870 card with twin cooling fans for $160 after rebate. That was three months ago, so there might be an even better deal by now.