Lounger
    Thanks

Where goeth Desktop Icons?

Hello, I'm new to The Lounge, though not to Windows Secrets and to Fred Langa's site - I've been a paid-up on and off for many years. The Lounge seems a friendly place and I'm happy to find I can understand half of what goes on!

I'm running Windows 7 on a new and uncluttered system.

I have arranged my desktop icons in the same relative place for over ten years and I get a bit peeved when Windows 7 decides I need to conform.

Things might be different if I could leave my PC on all the time. As it is, even though I have unticked Autoarrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid when I restart, Windows is very likely to move all my icons to the left of the screen. It's a bit like someone coming to your desk and moving all the papers around. It doesn't happen all the time, but it certainly will on the weekly Microsoft update.

Is there any extra trick I can use to stop this happening, please? I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.

Russell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

That seems to be quite a recurrent issue and I think there are no fixes for it. The effects can, maybe, be countered, by using a tool such as IconRestorer. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My way of overcoming this annoying event is to not show any icons by un-ticking the right click option on desktop. Then r/c on the task bar and add the desktop toolbar. Then all icons placed on desktop are accessible by clicking on the double arrows. Also you then have the option when r/c the popup to arrange list in name order.
    I like this option because it allows me to have a picture slide show of desktop background without icons cluttering up the picture.
    Not everyone's cup of tea but an option.

Another option is to use an external dock program such as Rocket Dock or Object Dock and add all your program icons to it. It can be set to auto hide when not in use.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-07-30 at 08:24.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I have solved this issue on my systems with:
    Iconoid
    A free and easy to use utility.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using the free Desktop Restore program by Jamie O'Connell for years:

http://www.midiox.com/

Zig

Thanks
    Another option is to use the freeware Stardock Fences. It allows you to group your icons into individual fences and place them on your desktop where you want them. You can then hide them all with a double click on any blank area giving you a clean desktop. When you want them back, just double click on the desktop.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks

Great ideas - thank you all

Crikey! I go AWOL for 24 hours and find many suggestions for dealing with this problem. Thank you all very much. I'm going to try them and see which ones work. I'll report back.

It was interesting to hear from ruirib that there is probably no (Microsoft authorised) fix. I'm glad I'm not alone in being irritated because I can't trust the OS to keep my desktop as I left it.

Thanks again,

Russell

Lounger
    Thanks
    I said I'd let you know how I got on.

I checked out a few - 4Star's suggestions looked as though it could be useful in some circumstances, so like all of the ideas, I'll keep a tab on it as another way of managing the desktop. After a while I thought I'd try the first idea - Ruirib's - and that works simply and perfectly.

It surprised me that there were so many solutions. When trying to resolve it, I obviously didn't put in the right search criteria.
    Anyway, this one is solved, as they say.

Thanks again, fellows.

Russell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Glad you sorted it .