Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I cannot grab the left side of the 746 GB partition. Also, if I right click on it and select create partition I am told "This disk uses MBR format, the disk space beyond 2 TB will be unusable". (In disk management the option to create a new simple volume is grayed out).

Does this mean I need to delete both partitions, and then create a GPT disk so that Windows recognises all of the 3 TB space, and then divide the space into 2 equal sizes partitions?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I have not as yet used a drive that large. I still think we are running into that size problem I alluded to earlier. It might be easiest to format the entire HD into one large drive, do whatever is necessary so Windows can recognize it, then use the 3rd party partitioning app to partition the HD to 2 separate partitions. Once you have the 2 separate partitions you should then be able to identify them however you wish. GPT or MBR.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I realised the size of the drive was the cause of the problem, so I deleted the volumes and then created one large GPT drive. Windows then recognised all of the space and I was able to create 2 partitions using Partition Wizard. I labelled the first Local Disk (F (the same name as I used originally), and was able to paste the original contents back to that partition from a Macrium Reflect image. (That took hours, as there are 21,158 items involved, many of which are large video files).

I know that the Standard Edition of Macrium Reflect does not support GPT disks, but Macrium have said that if I surrender my licence for the Standard Edition they will exchange it for a Professional Edition licence, and I am about to take them up on that. (Macrium support service is excellent).

I am not looking forward to creating a new full image of the F drive, as I know from previous experience it will take about 15 hours, but it only has to be done once (I hope!) and I will follow that up with regular incremental backups which don't take long.

All's well that ends well and thanks for your help.

Best regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2012-08-03 at 18:51. Reason: Punctuation
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Generally the Images you create only copy the used space, and not the unused space unless you do a sector by sector (I believe this is what it's called) Image. In this way your Image size will only be as large as your used space compressed to the amount you have determined (I usually leave my compression amount at default.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12