Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect Standard Version 5.0.4694-GPT Drive Backup

I replaced one of my internal hard drives with a 3 TB drive, and gave it the same drive letter as the drive it replaced. I can still mount the Macrium images of the replaced drive, but when I try to backup the new drive I get the error message “<disk> is not a valid disk number”.

Because of the size of the new drive I had to convert it to a GPT disk for Windows to be able to see the available space on the drive, and I assume that is causing the backup problem.

If anyone can tell me how to back up the GPT drive I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I seem to remember something about the size of HD's being limited. I believe the MBR can only recognize up to 2 Tb sized drive. You might have to partition that 3 Tb drive to at least 2 - 1.5 Tb partitions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Roy,

If you look at the feature comparison chart here. You'll see you have to buy the Pro version of Macrium to get support for GPT and dynamic disks.

FYI: Use IE to view the site as the chart does not display properly in FF 14 for some reason.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Geek,

Chart works for me in FF 14.0.1.

Zig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post

If anyone can tell me how to back up the GPT drive I would be grateful.
    Roy,
    Hello.... You can "backup" a GPT formatted HD with Macrium only if you have their "Pro" version..This is what i use, and have done this as well as a "Bare Metal recovery" useing "ReDeploy" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-07-31 at 15:26.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Zig,

Veeeery Interesting!

This is what I get...
    MacriumChart.PNG

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have FF13.01. When I allow Script (have addon NoScript), I can see the Macrium versions comparison chart which is not blocked by 'product boxes'.
    I use Macrium Free 5.0 boot disc. (Actually I use a bootable USB flash of Macrium Free 5.0 WinPE. Boot from it to backup my DVD drive-less lapbook.)
    I backed up to an external 3TB Hitachi USB drive. Macrium 5.0 Free can see the 3TB USB drive and backed up to it. Acronis Home 2010 boot disc could not see the 3TB USB drive. As a result, I could not use Acronis disc to do this backup.
    (Acronis 2010 reported non-recognized hdd but could still display size, partition, etc. Only missing is the hdd label/name. And I could not choose it as destination.)
    Looks like Macrium Free 5.0 is partially GPT compatible.
    Information from Acronis says 2010/2011 version with PlusPack is compatible with GPT.
    Also, I should not use my downloaded bootable iso. I should, instead, generate the boot disc from the installed 2010w/PlusPack program. In that way, PlusPack is integrated into the disc. That, I did not do. Maybe later.
    I also did the same backup, for kicks, to an USB 500G (smaller size to avoid GTP problem). Macrium took about 5 hours; Acronis 8. So I drop the idea of making an Acronis PlusPack boot disc.
    On newer, post 2011, Acronis versions, maybe the download iso already has PlusPack integrated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Geek,

I can't duplicate your problem by changing window size or (LCD) resolution. ??Are you using a CRT monitor??

Zig

Thanks
    Zig,

No it's an LG 23" LCD. I am running several add-ins including NoScript, FlashBlock, TACO, AdBlock Plus and Grease Monkey.

Update, I just tried it with Add-ons disabled and it displays correctly. Don't know which one is messing up the display though.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-08-01 at 08:56.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Geek,

I've got ABP, so it's not that.
    ??What is TACO??

Zig

Thanks
    Zig,

Problem solved, NoScript was blocking Macrium.com. Aparantly they do their page layout with JavaScript.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the replies. I converted the GPT disk to MBR and then wanted to split it into 2 equal sized partitions, but somehow messed up the process. I attach a screenshot of what Disk Management shows for the disk concerned (drive letter F) and if anyone can tell me what I need to do to end up with 2 equal sized partitions I would be very grateful. (If this involves deleting all the current volumes I don't mind because I have a complete up to date backup of Local Disk (F)).

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    First, I would use a 3rd party partition app. I use Partition Wizard. I assume your OS is in the first partition. Install in your OS partition.

I think the easiest way would be to open Partition Wizard, Choose Resize, grab the right side of the OS partition and drag it to the right across the entire HD. Click Apply. This will make the HD one partition. Then grab the right side and drag it approx. 1/ 2 way toward the left. This will leave unallocated space. Then format it as a logical drive.

PartitionWizard.jpg

I am just showing my data partition as an example. With Partition Wizard you grab an edge and drag it to the position you want it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-08-02)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks a lot. I did exactly as you suggested regarding grabbing the right side of the OS partition and dragging it to the right across the entire HD. I clicked apply and Partition Wizard required a reboot to complete the operation, which it said completed successfully. However, after the reboot both Partition Wizard and Disk Management showed that the partition arrangement remained almost exactly the same as shown in my screenshot, i.e. with partition F now 2048 GB, and the unallocated space at 746.52 GB. I opened Partition Wizard again but could not grab the right side of the OS partition.

Is the problem due to the hard drive size of 3TB, and if so I assume I will have to delete the volumes and then change them to the GPT type.

Your further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    It appears you now have 2 partitions, 1 - 2048 Gb, and 1 - 746 Gb.

Have you tried to grab the left side of the 746 Gb partition and dragged it to the left so that each occupies approx. half the HD? You may not need to expand the first partition to occupy the entire HD before creating the 2 partitions.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-02 at 21:03.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast